PDA

View Full Version : Lorenz lock problem

Steve Weems
10-12-2010, 12:48 PM
I've been working my Lorenz 1854 Muster model. Has a relined barrel in .54 and found replacement sights and a couple screws it was missing. The Problem I am having
now is the half cock notch barely brings the hammer above the nipple and is no where near to being the half cock we are use too and need for safety purposes. This appears
to be the way it was made and not a problem that has developed over time. Have any of you dealt with this before and if so what was the solution? The only plan I can
see is to fill in the current notch and cut a new one closer to the full notch. Maybe as an alternative just ignore the current notch and cut a new one to get a proper
clearance.

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
10-12-2010, 02:31 PM
I own two originals, and both are like that. My 55 Springfield half-cock was lower than my Enfield. That's just the way they're made. They're not "unsafe", just different. I've never considered changing them.

Tom Robey, 5369v
10-12-2010, 03:22 PM
My original Lorenz is exactly the same as you describe. The hammer just barely clears the nipple when on half cock. As long as the arm will pass our half cock test you are fine. Safety has nothing to do with our half cock requirement....cheating has everything to do with it.

FWIW, serviceable Lorenz tumblers can be tuff to find so I wouldn't cut on one unless it were absolutely necessary.

Tom R.

John Holland
10-13-2010, 12:47 AM
To all,

The reason that the hammer barely clears the cone at "half-cock" is because the position is not only a "safety" but it also prevents the cap from falling off the cone.

That is something we don't have to worry about on a N-SSA skirmish line. But, it was a real concern in actual battle conditions during thr Civil War. Just imagine the shock, when you have just run 100 yards with your musket at the "Ready Position", and you pull it up to your shoulder at the command of "Company Front, Fire!" and there is just the dead "clunk" of the hammer falling on the bare cone because the cap had fallen off somewhere during the mad rush to the front.

JDH

Steve Weems
10-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Thanks to all for the education --I will leave will enough alone!

Bob Eschbach, 3380v
10-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Steve, There are 2 different tumblers that both fit the Lorenz. The half and full cock notches are timed differently. Try LOdgewood. Thats where I found mine. Bob E