PDA

View Full Version : 1 in 78 Twist

buckeye
10-07-2010, 12:54 PM
What would be a good load suggestion for an original P56 2-Band Enfield with a 1 in 78 twist. Never shooting an Enfield, I would like to work up a competitive load for next season.

As a side note, I have heard that the P53 3-Band is actually more accurate, can anyone add or discount this perspective?

ms3635v
10-07-2010, 03:54 PM
I shot a Parker Hale two band Enfield back in the 70's when I joined the N-SSA. I shot a Lyman .575460 old style (460 grain traditional style minie) with 40 grains of 3F and it was very accurate. I switched to a Springfield because it was more comfortable for me to shoot and easier to acquire a sight picture due to the drop in the stock.

Mike Santarelli
Co. B, 1st PA Cavalry
MA Region

Southron Sr.
10-12-2010, 02:43 PM
What I would do would be to select either a Lyman or Hodgdon bullet mould, cast some minies out of PURE lead, size and then weigh them. This involves throwing out the excessively light of heavy ones.

Size your minies to two thousands of an inch under your bore diameter.

Then make up 5 rounds using 40 grains of Goex or Wano FFFg black powder, 5 rounds using 42 grains, 5 rounds using 44 grains, etc up to around 56 grains.

Bench your rifle and find out which five round "lot" of ammo delivers the tightest group at 100 yards.

You have now found the best and most accurate load for your rifle. Now, adjust your sights to that load.