PDA

View Full Version : Question about PH musketoon barrels.

dml1296
10-07-2010, 03:21 AM
I see various musketoons for sale on the net. I found an English made Parker Hale that has a 22 1/2" barrel. Is that correct?

The Italian ones sold by Navy Arms and others are described as having a 24" barrel.

R. McAuley 3014V
10-07-2010, 02:11 PM
I found an English made Parker Hale that has a 22 1/2" barrel. Is that correct?

The Italian ones sold by Navy Arms and others are described as having a 24" barrel.

Did the advert say whether it was with or without the patent breech? Many "P-H barrels" are sold independent of the patent breech, especially in the U.K. where they sell 20-gauge smoothbore barrels for all length barrels, but the musketoon in particular. It's the difference between having a rifle or shotgun licence, since it is the patent breech that is serialized rather than the barrel.

P.S. in verifying the barrel length, it is 22 1/2" long (23 1/4" long including the threaded portion that locks it into the patent breech), and nominally 24" O.A. when mounted to the breech. The only markings found on the barrel is typically the maker's ID "Parker-Hale Ltd - Birmingham England," while the patent breech section bears the manufacturer's control numbers, recommended load data, serial number and proofmarks.

dml1296
10-08-2010, 02:13 AM
No, the ad didn't mention a patent breech. The seller may have just measured the barrel by sticking a rod in the bore. From your info, 22 1/2"
sounds right. Thank you.