PDA

View Full Version : Hogden load question

William H. Shuey
10-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi Troops:

I have decided to try the Hogden bullet in my 3 band Springfield. It has a 3 land and groove barrel. What powder charge are folks using with this bullet??

Bill Shuey
1st Maine Hvy. Art.

MikeArthur
10-06-2010, 03:46 PM
I've had good results with this bullet using 41 gr 3f goex and a standard lube like lens Lube or MCM

yours

mike arthur
hampton horse :roll:

mikea
10-06-2010, 04:25 PM
In both a 3 band Enfield (P-H barrel, 3 groove 1:78 twist) and a 2 band HF '55 Rifle (Whitacre barrel, 3 groove 1:72 twist) the best accuracy I have been able to get with this bullet is with 45 gr. of 3F Goex with either Len's lube or MCM.

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
10-07-2010, 07:28 AM
43.5 grains of GOEX FFFg. I have a five-shot group with that load from a bench that measures three inches wide by one inch high. I use a bear grease/bees wax lube, but any lube will work.

John Bly
10-07-2010, 12:18 PM
My son and I both use 42 gr FFF Swiss and Jackie's lube (Jackie Venskoske) with good results. It shoots clean and accurately. I only clean my gun when the skirmish is over.

RangerFrog
10-18-2010, 07:50 AM
My son and I both use 42 gr FFF Swiss and Jackie's lube (Jackie Venskoske) with good results. It shoots clean and accurately. I only clean my gun when the skirmish is over.

Hey John,

Is Jackie's Lube a formula, or is it a proprietary mixture only available from himself? I am at the end of the useful life of an old batch of Emmert's Lube (my modification of the public domain formula) and am thinking of whomping up a batch of something different this Winter for the next skirmish season. BTW, how does J-L work on Maynards (to hijack the thread just a little) that we know and love?

Froggie

MikeArthur
10-18-2010, 07:54 AM
hey John, i currently use 3f goex 25 gr in my Maynard with your barrel...what Swiss load do you use?

mike arthur

John Bly
10-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Froggie, Jackie's lube can only be had from Jackie Venskoske. It was formerly Tom's lube many years ago, but Jackie took it over when Tom left skirmishing for a while. The formula has changed and it is mostly Crisco now. It used to be mostly the Wesson shortening but it is not very available in the area at present. It will work on cartridge ammo, but I use SPG for my Smith and Maynard ammo because I have it in one of my lubrisizers for my BPCR stuff and I like to keep things simple.

Mike, I'm not shooting a Maynard at present with my old eyes. The front sight keeps disapearing on me. I'm working to rebuild a wreck of a 1st Model with a 26" barrel and I hope to be shooting it next year. The Swiss powder is somewhat hotter than Goex and I would start at about 22 grains and work up to try to find whatever worked best. You may not get better accuracy, but it will shoot cleaner than Goex. Only testing in your gun will tell for sure. Good luck