PDA

View Full Version : Henry 44-40 mold

sseward
10-05-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm a new henry shooter and I'm still looking for a good .44 mold. I actually have a lee .429 semi-wadcutter (214 Grn) that I single load for individuals, but I need something for team events that will feed. Since I had a short time to get ready for Fall Nats I just bought some of the Black Dawge 205 Grn flat points. They worked great and were pre-lubed and allowed me to get up to speed, but I'm looking to cast my own.

Opening Pandora's box here....what round do most use? Since I'm just learning the gun I'm willing to experiment around to find the combo that works best for me but no use re-inventing the wheel! BTW...Obviously I'm already setup for sizing and loading...just looking for a good round to cast.

Steve

matt
10-06-2010, 07:13 AM
Im now using the mav dutchman big lube bullet. Shoots great and casts from a 6 cavity mold and you can size down to .427 if you have to drops out the mold at .430 to .431. nice accurate bullet that feeds very nicely through the henry.
http://www.biglube.com
hope this helps
matt
winslows battery 9775v

pastore
10-06-2010, 09:27 AM
I have always used the Lyman 427098 mold. The bullets are very acurate. It is a 205gr flat nose.

Terry Schultz, 10057
10-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Steve
Black Dawge cartridges use Goex Pinnacle powder not real black powder. Don't get caught using them at an N-SSA event.
Terry

Michael T.
10-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Black Dawg sells both BLACK POWDER and a smokeless you have to be specific when you order. With the residue in the breach after shooting what is labeled BLACK POWDER I don't see where you are coming from. Mike 4th Kentucky Cav.

Terry Schultz, 10057
10-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Michael
We ordered some "Black Powder" cartridges and when we disassembled one we found it contained what looked like pinnacle powder. Personally I think that the N-SSA should legalize Pinnacle as real Black Powder is getting harder to come by and home storage is limited legally.
Terry

Michael T.
10-14-2010, 06:54 AM
Terry
To tell the truth I probably could not tell the difference,I shoot PYRODEX in my deer musket (not CW era) and if I spilled both on the loading bench still couldn't. I am going by the amount of smoke that comes out of the barrel when firing the cartridges. Appreciate your input .. Mike

sseward
10-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Steve
Black Dawge cartridges use Goex Pinnacle powder not real black powder. Don't get caught using them at an N-SSA event.
Terry

Terry, I didn't buy the loaded cartridges, just the .430 bullets! They sell those in boxes of 100. I just used the Black dawg pre-lubed bullets in my own brass.....with black powder.

Chris Sweeney
10-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Black Dawge cartridges DO NOT use pinnacle! When GOEX was making SASS cartridges they had two types; one with Pinnacle and one with BP. Black Dawge was the BP brand. The Pinnacle brand was something very similar, but it was notB lack Dawge.

Now that Powder, Inc has taken over manufature of the cartridges, the only one they now make is BP (Black Dawge).