PDA

View Full Version : Fiber wads in Sharps rounds?

threepdr
10-16-2008, 10:29 PM
I have access to some 28 gauge (.55 cal) fiber wads. Has anyone used these for filler in their Sharps cartridges instead of corn meal or similar filler?

Looks like they would simplify the process and possibly help clean the bore a little between shots. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Lou Lou Lou
10-17-2008, 12:47 PM
I believe that they are prohibited.

threepdr
10-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Section 17-1 of the Skirmish Rules specifically says they can be used in revolver and Carbine I/II. I just wonder if anyone has had good results doing so.

Thanks

Greg Ogdan, 11444
10-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Talk to Charlie Hahn. He suggested using a partial thickness of Abitibbi insulation as filler before he started offering cut to length tubes.

Charlie Hahn
10-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Regarding fiber wads, I have worked with vegitable fiber wads and have had reasonable results. At that time I was using 45 calber fiber wads, felt wads, and conbination of paper disc and filler. The best was the filler, with fiber wads just behind with equal charge the 50 yard group was about .75 inch larger. I did not continue to develop this a time did not allow, but I have others out West who swear by the fiber wads, so I would not be afraid to base a loaded tube with the fiber wad. This work was done using my tubes trimmed to allow the bullet to be pushed into the forcing cone. The tube base was flush with the breech. I also used a custom straight bullet.

Charlie