PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky rifle (BP) kit

brgreen
09-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Greetings to all:

Has anyone put together one of these rifle kits? And if so, how good is it regards to shooting it live?

I was asked the above question and I had no answer. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Bryan Green
3rd Alabama Infantry

Southron Sr.
09-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Exactly which or what "Kentucky Rifle Kit" are you talking about?

Some of the import kits are simply junk while other kits allow one to build a fine rifle.

Check out some of the kits from Dixie Gun Works and especially Track of the Wolf. Both companies have their catalogs "on line" so they can be "Googled" up.

brgreen
09-28-2010, 01:43 PM
To all:

My bad, it is the traditions kentucky 50 cal rifle kit. Dixie Gun Works and other online sporting goods sites have them for $250-$275.

Bryan Green
3rd Alabama Infantry

Muley Gil
09-28-2010, 09:50 PM
It wasn't a kit, but I once owned a half stock Traditions flintlock. It sparked well and shot well.

Gary/CO
10-09-2010, 09:48 PM
If you want a gun, it is OK. The longrifle folks would turn it up as a poor interpretation of the longrifle.

ken chrestman
10-11-2010, 02:22 PM
If you want a "Kit" gun that is what you will get, something to look at hanging on the wall. Otherwise save your money and get a gun in the white from one of the semi-custom builders around . Kits are like out of the box muskets, not much there to shoot with, seen it a hundred times.

Hope this helps;

Ken Chrestman, 7147V Tennessee

Gary B
10-13-2010, 08:54 AM
If you want the real deal, go to the Log Cabin Shop in Ohio (on line also). My brother took me there on my last visit and it was incredible. There guys are the experts in Kentucky type rifles. They have all the best parts and knowledge to build a quality Kentucky rifle.
Hope this helps,
Gary B.

threepdr
10-14-2010, 09:06 AM
brgreen,

Your Traditions rifle may not be an authentic peice, nor is it the quality of a hand built reporduction, but it will shoot straight and realibly. I put one together many years ago, and a friend built one this year.

It will shoot best with patched round ball. However, I understand recently they have increased the twist rate in the barrel so a Maxi-ball or sabot bullet will shoot OK also. Check to see if the spec tell what the twist rate is. If it is 1/66 or slower, round balls only. If faster than 1/66 it MIGHT stabilize a maxi-ball.

You don't have to spend a $500+ on a gun to have fun shooting!

Bronc
10-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Other good sources of longrifle kits would be the Tip Curtis Frontier Shop (Cross Plains, TN) and Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading, Inc (Corinth, MS). Google for more info.