PDA

View Full Version : Aperture Question... again

RangerFrog
10-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Recently I observed that certain rifles were being shot using flip-up sights mounted on the barrel, but with the leaf or leaves drilled with an aperture to make the sight into a sort of quasi-peep sight. Although I had seen indirect mention of the practice, I couldn't (and after checking again still can't) find any mention of the practice in the rules as posted in the information section of this site. Now even my original query seems to have disappeared. :?:

Am I asking about something that I shouldn't? Is this modification taboo? I specifically am interested in applying it to a Euroarms Zouave and an original 2nd Model Maynard that is being overhauled currently. Any information (including whether I am kicking an unknown hornets' nest I have no business kicking) will be appreciated. I want to use the rules properly, but if I can get an advantage legally, I want to do that too! 8)

Froggie

Greg Ogdan, 11444
10-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Charlie,
You are not opening a can of worms. See Rule 14.9.1. Basically, it says you can drill a peep in your rear sight. The sight must be of a design that was original to the gun and the sight base must be in the proper location. Read the whole rule as there are several restrictions.
For your Zouave, you can replace the leaves with an "L" blade and drill holes for each yardage. Not sure about the Maynard as I shoot a Sharps.

RangerFrog
10-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks, Greg. That was just what I needed. I tried scanning the Approved Firearms document and that went pretty well if fruitless. The 195 pages of the the Rules and Regulations scanned a LOT more slowly! :shock:

I appreciate being put on the right track.

Regards,
Charlie Shaeff
RangerFrog