PDA

View Full Version : Long range shooting

R. C. Hubbard Jr
09-21-2010, 04:17 PM
A year ago or so we were looking at having a 600 yd match on a regular military type range with target pits ,ect.
The idea was dropped because of fear and Safty. (no one knew what the angle of drop looked like.)
More recently we have been shooting various muzzle loaders at this distance and have noted no problems.
Has anyone ever ran this on a program to see what the curve looks like?

09-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Specifically which guns are you looking to include? Are you talking about shooting .58 caliber muskets at 600 yards, or more like the Gibbs-type .45 caliber target muzzleloaders?

R. C. Hubbard Jr
09-22-2010, 04:47 PM
I was just interested in muskets. The Gibbs and other target rifles travel at near the same speed as a 45-70. I was recently in the target pits when my son was shooting his P-H volunteer rifle, no worries. It's the slower moving heavy bullets that some worried about.
Thanks

09-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Is the worry that their terminal trajectory might send them straight down into the pits, instead of over them?

R. C. Hubbard Jr
09-23-2010, 06:45 AM
Some were worried that they could be at such an angle that,given a hard back stop, round could scury around into the pits. Personaly, I dont see it, but a plotted trajectory would be interesting.

Thanks