PDA

View Full Version : Source for authentic Minie ball mold?

R. Knack
10-11-2008, 08:40 AM
:?:

I am trying to find a 58 caliber mold that will cast a Minie ball that is as close as possible to the original. The Lyman 575213-OS is too light, at 460 grains (issue was 500 grains or so, except for the Springfield pistol-carbine). I have 3 Minie-ball molds that cast 500 grain Minies, but they are all very similar (Lyman/Ideal 575213, Challenger, and Lee), in that they have too short of a nose and too long of a body, and too wide in the grease grooves when compared to original specimens I have. I'm not worried about the "nose-pour vs. swaged" issue, as amny of the older Minies were cast before swaging machines were perfected, and a number of smaller arsenals and private contractors continued to use the nose-poured DeZeng type molds.

Can anybody help me out here?

Southron Sr.
10-23-2008, 02:15 PM
In their "on line" catalog N.E.I. Handtools (Bullet Moulds) lists a .575-500-HB #392 bullet mould that is very close to some of the federal issue .58 Minie Balls.

If you send them an original bullet, or the drawings of an original bullet you want duplicated, they will make a "cherry" to cut a mould for (I think) $300.00 plus the cost of the mould.

There are a lot of custom bullet mould makers out there and they will make anything you want within reason.

N.E.I. Handtools web address is:

http://neihandtools.com

GOOD LUCK