PDA

View Full Version : Machine-sewn uniforms

R. Knack
10-11-2008, 07:58 AM
Hi! I am just getting into re-enacting. I plan to make my own uniform, as authentic repros are quite a bit outside my budget. I have the Galla Rock patterns for a Union sack coat, Federal-issue trousers, and men's shirt-on-the-square.
Now I know that lock-stitch sewing machines existed during the Civil War (Singer brought them out in the 1850's), but are there any existing specimens of Civil War Federal-issue uniforms that were sewn with a lockstitch machine? Folks on the Authentic Campaigner website keep harping on Wilcox and Gibbs chainstitch machines (when they're not telling me to "buy from one of our approved vendors" - which, as I said, is outside my budget), but originals tend to be expensive and chainstitching is much weaker than lockstitching - one broken thread and the whole seam comes undone. I COULD handstitch my uniform - I know how to sew by hand - but it seems like a rather daunting task...

Minieball577
10-11-2008, 11:13 AM
This may have something you can find useful. http://www.nwtskirmisher.com/useful-extra1.shtml

I find handstitching to be rewarding, personally. You can get a decent Wilcox machine on e-bay in the 40 dollar range. I have made dozens of garments with that machine to include trousers and vests, and had zero breakage of seams. If you follow the manual on how to lock off the seams you won't have much problem. Additionally, I have made literally hundreds of suspenders with that machine as the top stitch with no complaints.

R. Knack
10-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Well, the "$40" Willcox & Gibbs that I saw ended up going for about $86 - with mine the winning bid :D. That's the most I could afford for something like that, and I think it will pay for itself (I can use it for more than just period clothing). I think it is a fair price, considering I've seen most of them go for well over $120, and Haversack Depot is selling them starting at $225. I will have to get the manual and some spare needles soon, though.

Minieball577
10-14-2008, 06:26 AM
Spare needles are going to be a bear to get, and they are not cheap. Send me an e-mail at minieball577@yahoo.com and I can probably help with that. Is your machine one that has been electrified? Does it have the glass disc tensioner, or the "newer" spring tensioner?