PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Interval?

mb3
09-17-2010, 02:42 PM
I need a little advise on cleaning intervals. I went out yesterday and shot my CS Richmond musket for the first time and I got three shots off and on the fourth had a FTF. Had to take out the nipple clean it and use a pipe cleaner on the flash hole. Then I had to pretty much do that on every shot afterwards. I was using CCI four winged caps and RWS Musket caps. The RWS seamed a little hotter but had the same effect. One of the guys at the range said he generally brings six nipples with him and changes them out every couple of shots. What do you guys do?

Eggman
09-17-2010, 04:17 PM
You should not have to clean the nipple or flash channel all day. Wiping the bore only after ten or so shots is considered normal. It sounds like your flash channel (vs. nipple hole) may be obstructed. With the nipple removed, did you run your pipe cleaner down the flash channel all the way into the bore? If you can't do this it might require a drilling out. Your friend at the range is not the one to seek advice from. One last thing, are you using black powder or Pyrodex? Pyrodex is tougher to ignite.

Ron/The Old Reb
09-17-2010, 04:37 PM
mb3

I think that there is something wrong with the nipple. First get yourself a good stainless steel nipple. When I go to a skirmish I will shoot anywhere from 70 to 75 rounds out of my Richman and my Zoave both. I never take out the nipple and clean it or replace it. The only time I take out the nipple and clean it is when I get home and clean the gun. I take the nipple out and soak it in Hoppies No.9 for a little while and clean it out with a pipe cleaner. Put a little anti-seize on the threads and put it back in the musket.

Southron Sr.
09-17-2010, 05:04 PM
"One of the guys at the range said he generally brings six nipples with him and changes them out every couple of shots."

Whoever told you that was either "pulling your leg" OR if he actually does that, he is terribly, terribly misinformed. In other words, avoid that character in the future like the plague.

I highly recommend the Aampco nipples as sold by Dixie Gun Works. Another option is to use Stainless Steel Nipples, even they are much better than the regular steel nipples that come on the guns from the factory.

Musket nipples will generally last a few years before they have to be changed out. The "Rule of Thumb" is IF your nipple starts to "frag" caps OR erodes enough to allow gas pressure from the barrel to escape back into your face, the nipple needs to be changed immediately.

An absolute "Must" for Safety is that whenever you replace a nipple, make double certain that the thread size of the replacement nipple is correct for your gun!

Hint: A good, cheap nipple wrench for a musket nipple is a regular 1/4" open end wrench that can be picked up at your local hardware store.

GOOD LUCK!

mb3
09-17-2010, 08:19 PM
I am using 777, and after I run a pipe cleaner through the flash hole the rifle fires for a couple more shots, but then I have to do it again. Could be the nipple. I will look into getting a stainless steel nipple.

Rebel Dave
09-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Mb3

Don't know if you can get it or not, where you are at, but use real "Black Powder". Some of the black powder subs do not ignite well in Muskets, and will cause you lots of greef.
45 grains of 3f blk powder, behind a minnie should be a good starting point.
I can shoot my Richmond musket, and carbine all day with no problems.

Rebel Dave aka dave C.

Eggman
09-18-2010, 10:42 AM
For the record, for a guy who has been shooting black powder for forty years, what is "777"?

mb3
09-18-2010, 11:28 AM
I guess more correctly it is called Hogden Triple Seven FFG. It’s a BP substitute. I am using it as BP is hard to get in my area. The closest source is over an hour away at the local Bass Pro Shops. I am waiting for the next Gun Show and I will see if I can pick up some Goex 3F. Until then I will check the flash hole and make sure there are no burrs or obstructions. Does anyone know how big the chamber end of the flash hole should be?

Rebel Dave
09-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Eggman

777 (triple 7) is a black powder sustitute, it is made by Hodgdon pwdr co. When used you should reduce your charge by 10-15%, from the real blk pwdr charge. That means, if your charge of blk pwdr is, say 50 grains, then when using 777, you should use only 42-45 grains, to get the same effect. This is important when using LARGE volumes and/or in cartridges to keep the pressure spikes down.
I have never used it in a muzzle loader but have tried it in some of my blk pwdr cartridge guns. It has a good "kick", and smokes like blk pwdr, but it don't smell the same, and it "just ain't the same". I personally think it is more corrosive also.

Rebel Dave aka Dave C.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
09-18-2010, 01:36 PM
I just got home from a range where I used Swiss BP in my minie rifle for the first time. It left MUCH less fouling than Goex!

Eggman
09-18-2010, 03:29 PM
I really think switching to good old black powder, preferably FFFg, will cure all that ails you. Be sure to flush out with hot water at the end of the day.