PDA

View Full Version : Blackpowder Powder Measure

MR. GADGET
10-10-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm looking at getting a RCBS BPPM and wanted to know more about it, if any of you are using it. I have used RCBS for years in reloading and like there stuff but know nothing of the BPPM.

I want it for F and FF and FFF.
Is it a slide like the ones you get for hunting like the brass type that step in 5,10, 15 and so on. I know it will go up to 120 gr.
The one I have not for smokless can be set on any grain you want with a screw but from the picture I have found it does not look like a screw, more like a slide. If it is a slide like the brass hand measures, most are set for ff and in a 10,20,30,40,50,60,70, and so on for hunting or 5,10,15,20 on up. It would change if you use the F or FFF.
I'm using the Lee dippers for now and that is getting old with all the shooting I'm doing.

Any help would be good.
Hornady BPPM would be my next pick.

pastore
10-10-2008, 11:10 AM
I have no experience with the RCBS, but have used the Lyman 55 measures for 40 years. I currently use 5 of them, all set to different charges of black powder. I realize Lyman says they are not recommended for black powder, but strangely enough the very same measures that were manufactured before lawyers ruled the world had the slides marked in grains of black powder. :roll:

Jerry Ward
10-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Jon,

Have you looked at a Belding and Mull? Love mine!

MR. GADGET
10-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Jon,

Have you looked at a Belding and Mull? Love mine!

Got one but never used it. Just looked like it was going to be a PITA to use and it needs a new glass cover. It looks like it has clear tape for a cover on the bottom.
Maybe I need to fix it and give it a try.

Lou Lou Lou
10-10-2008, 12:50 PM
I will be glad to take it off your hands.

That should help you realize how good it is.

Jerry Ward
10-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Jon,

I know this is way off your original post, I don't have experience with the RCBS or Hornaday so maybe someone else will chime in.

As far as getting your B&M running, Dave Gullo used to handle parts at Buffalo Arms Co, but it looks like he has stopped carrying B&M equipment. May be worth a call to Dave to see for sure.

http://www.montanavintagearms.com/reloading.html This one is an "improved" copy that looks very interesting and has a couple of good reviews at castboolits.com

"WBH" over there tinkers with old B&M's and he can help you if you hit a wall...

I know a certain Viking that has been looking one for a while if you want to get rid of it....

John3697
10-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Mr Gadget

I have one and it has some issues. It has a cam that you have to twist to lock it in when you think you have the right amount of powder. After you get it set to the right powder charge it will work great for a while but if you are doing a large amount of charges the cam sometimes pops loose and then you have to adjust it all over again. I have taken to get the charge close then trickel powder to the exact load I want. Hopes that helps.

Jim Strang
10-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Neighbor Gadget:

As a subscriber to the (in some circles) heretical theory that static electricity is greatly overblown as a threat to black powder loading,

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_exp ... parks.html (http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html)

I use the same RCBS powder measure I used for pre-N-SSA decades of loading smokeless cartridges. It retains charge accuracy to within a tenth of a grain or so (by weight) throughout any given loading session.

While management assumes no responsibility for uttering the foregoing, and does not necessarily recommend that anyone else use such a device, it does hold this truth to be self-evident: Were such matters left to the lawyers, the world would be a far drearier place... :roll:

tonyb
10-10-2008, 07:37 PM
I have no experience with the RCBS, but have used the Lyman 55 measures for 40 years. I currently use 5 of them, all set to different charges of black powder. I realize Lyman says they are not recommended for black powder, but strangely enough the very same measures that were manufactured before lawyers ruled the world had the slides marked in grains of black powder. :roll:

I used a RCBS with no problems at all. Just take it apart and clean it now and then.

John Maderious
10-10-2008, 10:39 PM
I used to have about 4 or 5 of the RCBS and Lyman types, one for each common load. One Christmas about 5 years ago my wife was pestering me to give her hints for a present to buy me and wanted to spend a few hundred bucks. I had just finished straightening out another problem with one of my powder measures, so I mentioned maybe a Harrell's Precision measure would be nice. She got one for me and it is the best present I have ever received. Always accurate, changes from one load to another in about 10 seconds, no maintenance, works perfectly. I love it. John Maderious WBR 10223