PDA

View Full Version : 3 groove? 5 groove? 7 groove?

Cazador1
09-15-2010, 11:07 AM
In looking at the different muskets available, one sees barrels with a variety of grooves. There must be some valid reasons for this, but its enough to confuse a feller. I hope to find a rifle that will accurately shoot PRB and minnie-style bullet, if such is possible. I know there are people out there highly knowledgeable on such matters, and I would appreciate some input. Which is more accurate, which should one avoid, etc. Many thanks.

Jim_Burgess_2078V
09-15-2010, 12:40 PM
The number of grooves is not as critical as the depth of the grooves and rate of twist. It is unlikely you will find a rifle that shoots patched round balls and minies equally well because these very different types of projectiles have different needs. Minie bullets work best with relatively shallow rifling while patched round balls generally need deeper rifling. If you are determined to shoot both round balls and Minies in a military rifle, a M1841 Mississippi Rifle in .54 caliber with 7 grooves might be your best bet.
Jim Burgess, 15th Conn. Vol. Inf.

Cazador1
09-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks Jim. Given my experience over the years with the TCs and Lymans, I doubted that muskets would be much different. You want to shoot PRB, go with slow twist and deep rifling. You want to shoot conicals, go with just the opposite. Anyhow, what would you recommend for accurate minie shooting (two band or shorter barrel)? And what would you recommend for PRB in the shorter barrel muskets? Of course, there is no hard and fast rule here, and every barrel is an individal unto itself. I am just trying to get some general info that will help me in my search for something I will be happy with. Muskets are a whole new ballgame for me. Again, thanks

mike owsiak
09-15-2010, 07:11 PM
I have been shooting a 7 groove ZOUAVE for about 25 + years..........still shoots better than me.....MIKE O