PDA

View Full Version : Wiard Guns

gjkershul
03-30-2008, 09:56 AM
I am interested in the use and theater disribution of the Wiard Guns. Recent readings have indicated there were some at Pittsburgh Landing/Shilo. Does anyone know where else they were used?

I saw one in action at the 2001 Grayling Artillery Shoot and was impressed by the gun and crew performance.

Johan Steele
03-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Minnesota Battery at Shiloh had a pair of them. As far as I know they were the only ones at Shiloh.

cannonmn
04-02-2008, 06:22 AM
1. Search what they used to call "Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature" to see if someone has done an article on that subject.

2. Ask owners of Wiard guns, some of whom will have researched their weapons' use extensively. You might try Paulson Brothers' Ordnance of Clear Lake, WI, for instance.

3. Search web, "Google."

4. If you are doing some serious research and don't mind spending some time and a little money to compile that info, you could find the National Archives' microfilm publication which I think is called "Arms in the hands of troops." It compiles the periodic reports ("Returns") from the various Northern units during the Civil War. Sometimes it will identify the type of gun and sometimes it may just say "6 pounder rifle." I can't recall, and maybe someone else will know how specifically the artillery pieces are identified in the document, and whether it is consistent or not. I do know that some of the more exotic weapons (Billinghurst-Requa, Union Repeating Gun, etc.) are identified quite specifically in it. I'm trying to remember the microfilm number the N.A. gives it, it may be "M2118" but I'll see if I can find that.

5. Another thing I might suggest is now that the Official Reports of the Union and Confederate Armies in the War of the Rebellion is online and searchable (from one particular access venue, not both) you can search it for the term "Wiard" and find all the uses of that word in the massive
compilation.

Don Dixon
04-02-2008, 09:59 AM
It has been some years since I visited the Shiloh battlefield, but as I recall they had several Wiard rifles mounted on carriges on the field. It was the first time I had ever seen them. Presumably you could obtain further information from the park rangers or historian.

Regards,
Don Dixon
2881V