PDA

View Full Version : Revolver for a Skirmisher on a Budget?

Jack46IVI
10-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Any suggestions for someone who doesn't have $600+ to spend?

J Schmidt 46th Illinois

RangerFrog
10-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Jack,

I'm something of a newbie myself, but since I am trying to get outfitted on a retired teacher's budget, I feel your pain! I bought the Pietta repro of a Remington .44 Army and am pleased with it. I feel certain it will shoot better than its owner for quite a while, and this seems to be the pistol, regardless of manufacturer, that shows up on the line most often. I am still learning its quirks and will probably have to have a little tuning done before I am completely satisfied, but the price was less than half of that $600 you mentioned, so it leaves some money for experimentation.

HTH ~ Froggie :)

threepdr
10-09-2008, 09:17 AM
I bought an Uberti Rem 1863 recently. I paid about $255 for it shipped from C&D Jarnagan. The quality is excellent and it puts the balls right where it is pointed at 25 yards from a rest, right out of the box. I could not be happier with it. Now, if I could only shoot one handed as well as I do off the rest!

I've been shooting it with 22grns of 3f with a .454 ball, no filler or wads...but with plenty of lube on top of the bullet.

Also #11 caps will fall off the nipples, it likes Rem #10s.

Good luck

navalofficer08
10-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Our team bought about six uberti's from dixie several years ago and we have all been very pleased with the quality plus they all seem to shoot well with around 21 grs of fffg topped with cream o wheat filler,etc also use no 10 caps