PDA

View Full Version : Brasso?

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
09-06-2010, 06:55 PM
When I retired from the Army Reserve in the late 90's, I had a couple cans of Brasso that lasted until just recently. I like the new plastic squeeze bottle better than the tin cans, but the liquid now seems to be creamier than it used to. It still works, but is there anything on the market closer what it used to be?

Southron Sr.
09-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Geeze-your post brings to mind (in a nostlagic way) my misspent youth in a vicious Southern military academy!

When I saw the movie "Full Metal Jacket" for the first time, I wondered why the Drill Instructor (played by actor R. Lee Ermy) went so EASY on the recruits. He treated them all as if they were a bunch of cream puffs!

Needless to say, in my old military academy days, I used a lot of Brasso every day to keep my collar brass, hat brass, belt buckle, etc., nice and shiny for inspections.

AMAZING DISCOVERY: Now I have one of those vibrating brass polishers specifically made for reloaders. I throw in my dirty brass cartridge cases and turn it on. If I leave it on overnight, the cases come out so shiny that they would pass military inspection.

So I would highly recommend you try one of those brass polishers. Brasso is now OBSOLETE!

Ron/The Old Reb
09-08-2010, 12:59 PM
I was told that you can use Brasso to rejuvenate polishing media. Has anyone try this? And dose it work?

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
09-08-2010, 03:11 PM
I add Brasso to my corn cob media. The old brasso was more liquid and worked in faster. I'm sure this creamier stuff will work too. To me the new Brasso looks more like some of the media additives on the market than the old Brasso.

Change is good, right? Maybe I need the "Gunny" to explain it to me using that soft and convincing voice of his?

Ron/The Old Reb
09-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks, I am going to try it.
As for the Gunny, He is now a psycho therapist for an insurance company. :roll:

Cali Billy
09-11-2010, 04:44 AM
Never dull is the way to go. It comes in a can and is impregnated felt. Used it all the time in the USCG and on my various muzzleloaders.

R. McAuley 3014V
09-11-2010, 04:07 PM
I add Brasso to my corn cob media. The old brasso was more liquid and worked in faster. I'm sure this creamier stuff will work too. To me the new Brasso looks more like some of the media additives on the market than the old Brasso.

Change is good, right? Maybe I need the "Gunny" to explain it to me using that soft and convincing voice of his?

A few months ago, I needed to polish some barrel bands and other hardware, so I threw the parts in my vibrating tumbler along with some steel BBs. While many in the manufacturing industry use all shapes of ceramic media, some others use steel ballbearings for much the same results, usually to produce the satin finish found on stainless steel flatware. Although I have not used any of the ceramic media (as yet), I hope to obtain some soon for a comparation to how it renders my brass cases versus the steel BBs, which though causing the cob to breakdown, has to a great degree "rejuvenated" my old worn out cob media that had seemingly lost its ability to polish like new cob media. Just last evening, I pulled out 50 Spencer and Gallagher casings that I had shot on Labor Day, and had put into the tumbler on Tuesday night, and left running all day Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. They look as bright and shinny now as they did when new. So you can add Brasso to your media, or a handful of brass-plated steel BBs, or even both. You don't want to add too many BBs, about 10 percent of the total media is plenty.

RM