PDA

View Full Version : The Statesville Range and the "Ghost Train"

Southron Sr.
08-28-2010, 12:24 PM
This past week a "Ghost Hunter" got caught on a train trestle near Statesville, N.C. and was hit and killed by a REAL train. He and several friends were searching for the "Ghost Train" that is occasionally seen(?) or heard(?) at that trestle. The original train wreck occurred in 1891.

The skirmish range near Statesville is one of the finest ranges in the entire Carolina Region. Legend has it that Skirmishers camping at the Statesville range can sometimes hear the whistle of that "Ghost Train" as it passes in the night.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
08-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Don't believe in ghosts, but DO believe in real trains. Ya gotta be careful in this world! Must visit Statesville sometime.

Greg Ogdan, 11444
08-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Ken,

Southron is right, the Statesville range is great. Why don't you plan on attending the April Fools Skirmish there next spring. Several of us Redmen will probably be there. The 38th NC puts on a fine shoot.

Eggman
08-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Luckily Jim and Marty Rogers were down tearing things up at the Deep South skimish at Brierfield and not wandering around ghost hunting.

Ron/The Old Reb
08-30-2010, 07:47 PM
If you believe you can hear the bell ring. :)

R. McAuley 3014V
08-31-2010, 01:36 PM
Here's the original newspaper account of the train wreck on Bostian's bridge, Aug 27, 1891.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/24783925/detail.html

Evidently the group on Friday night confused the real train for an apparition of the ghost train, and may have thought it would just pass through them like happens in the movies. From local reports, some 12 people were caught on the trestle when the real train came around the bend, and following the accident, fled the scene because they were trespassing.

Southron Sr.
08-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Fortunately, I don't have to go "Ghost Hunting" as I have a graveyard in my back yard. I am friends with all the Ghosts around here.

By the way, Ghosts make GREAT NEIGHBORS. They NEVER throw wild, noisy partys, keeping me awake at night and IF I throw a wild, loud party, they don't call the cops on me!

Lee Hoffecker
08-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Greetings,
I have spent many nights at the Statesville range and have never heard a train. The range is two or three miles east of Statesville, and the bridge where the accident occured is two miles west of town; so I strongly doubt that anyone else has ever heard a train there either!
I can attest that Branden does have a graveyard in his back yard, a slave graveyard no less, but bet he hasn't seen any goasts either.
Lee

Gracie
09-01-2010, 01:17 AM
Lee is correct that the Statesville Range is a little too far away to hear the "Ghost Train", however as long as we have lived here local legend says that Allison's Woods is haunted and we can agree that alot of the locals refuse to drive past it after dark. Mr. Allison says that the Boy Scouts that stay there on a regular basis have heard sounds in the night on the island, but he will not confirm whether it is actually haunted. We have personally been contacted by paranormal groups wanting to come out and find out.

Eggman
09-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Ask Brandon to spend a night in the slave graveyard and then report back.

Southron Sr.
09-01-2010, 04:29 PM
All I know is that on several occasions at Statesville, after leaving the camp of the Bunny Rifles (late on Saturday nights) after enjoying their hospitality; I have heard the "Ghost Train" go by....OR, maybe it was some of the Bunny Rifles howling at the moon (I am not sure, because my memory on that point is a bit fuzzy.)

I will have to pass on spending the night in the graveyard behind my house-the chiggers would eat me alive this time of year!

Now what is this about a "Haunted Island" at the Statesville Range-I am getting s...c...a...r...e...d (Gulp!)