PDA

View Full Version : Zoli Zouave barrels?

Oregon Bill
10-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Just obtained a short-barreled Zoli-made and Navy Arms-marked Zouave from a forum member. Are Zoli Zouave barrels uniform in dimensions and twist rate? If so, what are the dimensions and twist? Any thoughts on which Minie mold to choose for an accurate hunting load? Many thanks in advance.

Edwin Flint, 8427
10-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Right now, Nationals are in progress in Winchester, so most the BB members are offline right now. You may get some better information from them.

First, not all Navy Arms Zouaves are Zolis. There are some made by other MFG.

The Zoli Hunter, the short version, is a cut down version of the 1863 Remington, Zouave. The barrels are the same. I am not sure of the twist, I believe it is 1-60, though it may be a 1-48.

I shoot in my Hunter Zouave a 470 grain Rapine trashcan with 46 grains of 3F Goex sized to .577. Shoots great and has brought down many a whitetail. My nephews have used it to take deer in the primitive seaon for the last 7-8 years. It one hole groups at 100 yards. If you are going for bear, elk, or other large game, you might want a bit heavier charge and bullet.

The bore sizes are all nominal .58 Cal but the bullets that I have sized in various Zoli guns have run from .576 to .580.

Hope this all helps to the real experts get back.

Oregon Bill
10-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks Edwin. My Zouave short rifle is marked Antonio Zoli. I found some odds and ends minies to try in it, and will surely find a bullet that shoots.
Bill

Frog
10-04-2008, 08:59 AM
My first musket was a Zoli Zouave. It shot the Lyman 575213 new style just fine sized to .575 over 38.5 gr. of 3f Goex with Len's lube. There is a wide range of bore sizes for the Zouave's I have been associated with since my first one. They range from .575 thru .581. Make sure you check the bore size, keep the bullet at .001 to .002 undersize and start at 35 gr. of 3f and work up to get your best groups.
I shot several different bullets in that gun and it did not seem to mind the difference.