PDA

View Full Version : 2f or 3f

Bob Seng, 10979
08-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Carrying this over in hopes of more response Thanks Eggman for your response as well

2F or 3 f
I am fixing to reload some 45 long colt for my Henry. This is the first time I have to reload and did load research to get started but I get conflicting info from Goex's website. I page says 42g of 2 ff and another says 42g fff so I figure the best thing to do is inquire here. So guys can I get some input here.Bob Seng 10979
Commander 19th Indiana

Tom Magno, 9269V
08-26-2010, 04:52 PM
3F. Rule of thumb for BP cartridge reloading is that the correct load is whatever volume will fill the case with a bullet seated on top. No air space. If you wish to shoot reduced charge, then fill the space on top of the powder with cream of rice, cream of wheat, grits, etc, then seat the bullet on top as if it were all one column of powder.
In the 44-40, 25 grains works for me and I use cream of rice to take up the rest. Not sure you could even get 42 grains of powder into a 45LC case... but whatever, just fill it to where the base of the bullet will be, slightly more to get a bit of compression, then pour it out onto a scale to see what you have by weight. Set your measure to that, and go to work.

Terry Davis 10639
08-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Bob,

If you find something that works, let me know. I spent a lot of time last summer trying various bullets and powder to try to get my 45 henry to shoot. It groups fine with smokeless but with BP, I tried Goex, Swiss, full charges, reduced loads with filler, 4 different bullets, .452 and .454 diameter, light compression, heavy compression, light crimp, heavy crimp, you get the idea.

I found the best load kept "most" of the shots on a paper plate at 50 off a rest. Frustrating when you consider that dumping loose powder and ramming a bullet down a musket will group in the 9 and 10 rings off a bench.
By contrast, I understand that .44 henrys are far less picky.
I am not sure were I was going wrong, but good luck.

matt
08-27-2010, 09:58 PM
have you tried a big lube type bullet? it might be that you are getting enough lube and the fouling is causing your groups to open up. i had the same problem with the rapine 429 bullet in my 44-40 and when i went to the mav dutchman bullet the groups shrank alot. they make a 45 cal bullet called the pidgeon rooster slim or prs for short and the great thing is these are six cavity molds so you can really crank them out. also you might try playing with your lead hardness go softer or lighter and see what happens.
http://www.biglube.com
hope this helps
matt
winslows battery 9775v
usmc 1988-1995

macvcallsign
09-26-2010, 07:05 PM
HI BOB,

WELL, AS YOU MAY KNOW, I HAVE BEEN FIGHTING WITH MY 45LC HENRY FOR YEARS. HAVE TRIED 7-8 DIFFERENT BULLET TYPES, LOADS FROM 24 TO 36 COMPRESSED GRS, 2F AND 3F. ALL TYPES OF FILLERS AND WADS. COULD NEVER GET A CONSISTENT GROUP. ALWAYS GOT A LOT OF FOULING. FINALLY GOT A RECOMMENDATION FROM NICK B ON THE 2ND KENT TO TRY SWISS POWDER. GOT A LOT LESS FOULING WITH IT WHICH SEEMS TO HELP. TRIED SOFT LEAD, HARD LEAD ETC.
YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PUT MORE THAT ABOUT 36 GRS OF 3F INTO A .45LC CASE AND THAT IS COMPRESSED PRETTY TIGHT. I THINK I HAVE FINALLY FOUND A LOAD THAT IS BEING VERY CONSISTENT: FOUND A 255 GR RNFP BULLET(LEE) WITH 2 LUBE GROOVES, SIZED .452, HARD LEAD(16BHN), REGULAR HIGH SPEED BULLET LUBE, 30 GRS OF SWISS 3F COMES RIGHT TO THE BASE OF THE BULLET, AND STANDARD LG PISTOL PRIMER. I AM GETTING VERY CONSISTENT 4" GROUPS OFF HAND AT 50 YARDS NOW AFTER 4-5 TIMES AT THE RANGE(AND FOR ME NOW THAT IS NOT BAD!) :) . NOW JUST HAVE TO DO SOME MINOR SIGHT WORK AND WORK ON THE 100YDS BUT SO FAR I'M VERY PLEASED. HOPE THIS MAY BE OF SOME HELP. SEE YOU AT THE NATIONALS.

DENNIS SCHULER
4TH KENTUCKY CAVALRY, CSA
1561V

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
09-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Anybody ever try GOEX Cartridge grade?

Jim Brady
Knap's Battery

matt
09-26-2010, 08:57 PM
jim,
yes i have tried it. size is the same as 2 f but is glazed different to get it to go into the cartridge better and so it settles better, in my opinion just use 2 f instead. in my 44-40 and 45 lc i use 3f and fill the case to the top. my loads are 33 grains for 44-40 and 36 grains for 45lc then compressed and topped with big lube bullets no leading and clean up is easy.
matt
winslows battery 9775v
USMC 1988-1995