PDA

View Full Version : 2F or 3 f

Bob Seng, 10979
08-26-2010, 05:22 AM
I am fixing to reload some 45 long colt for my Henry. This is the first time I have to reload and did load research to get started but I get conflicting info from Goex's website. I page says 42g of 2 ff and another says 42g fff so I figure the best thing to do is inquire here. So guys can I get some input here.

Eggman
08-26-2010, 10:43 AM
The answer to your question is fffg of course. I'm wondering if the Henry guys agree with the 42 grains.

Joe Plakis, 9575V
08-26-2010, 04:59 PM
I use FF Swiss.

Disclaimer: When ever you get load advice it is what works in that particular firearm. If you were to take 5 Henrys to the range you would most likely find that each gun grouped the best with 5 different bullets and 5 different powder charges.

I went with Swiss because I had heard it shot cleaner, I started with a combination of filler on top of powder until I found be adding sum and subtracting the other I proved to have the best group at 26grains and 7cc of filler. It is what worked for me and provided the one hole grouping I was looking for. I have made the same round up for friends and for some it has worked and for others, they should of thrown stones instead!

Enjoy the science behind proving out your perfect round!

DAVE FRANCE
08-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Bob,

You can use 3f for every firearm you use up to 58 caliber.

Some sources suggest using 2f for any rifle over 45 (or 54 or 58, etc.). I think that was started by black powder firearm suppliers who were afraid someone would use over 100 grains of 3f in rifle, and the suppliers worried if that was safe. Some information was published that showed hunting loads of 100 grains and more.

3f is usually recommended for pistol caliber cartridge firearms. Although some recommend cartridge powder which seems to be a mixture of 2f and 3f.

You can get a higher muzzle velocity with 3f than with 2f at the same weight charge. Or for the same muzzle velocity, you can use about 10% less powder if you use 3f.

David