PDA

View Full Version : First trip to range w/ 58 musketoon

Eterry
08-26-2010, 12:46 AM
Well, I got some minies and some REAL bullets rounded up and went to the range today. The good news, the weapon didnt misfire or hangfire once, so all is good in that regards.

I used 60 grs. FFg by volume (old CVA measurer) and started at 25 yards with some reject 500 gr. .575 Lee minies. It grouped about 5 inches for 5 shots high and left. I didnt clean it and shot 5 .577 RCBS a friend gave me and it scattered the group. So I swabbed the bore and moved on.

Then to 50 yards, same charge and some .577 RCBS minies. Five shots later and I had a pretty respectable 3.6" group, 3.5 inches high and 3.5 inches left. I swabbed the bore and ran 5 REAL bullets thru it, same charge. Once again the group scattered.

Then I swabbed the bore and moved to 100 yards, as the range doesnt have a 75 yard backstop. This time I couldnt hit the small targets I had so I gave up.

I had 4 RCBS minies lubed up and at 200 yards there is a shelf with bowling pins set up. All had been knocked down but one by centerfire rifles. I poured 60 grs. volume of some VERY OLD Pyrodex R-S, seated a minie, set the sights at 200 and let rip. It sounded like a cap gun, the ball hit the 100 yd backstop and richocheted into the 200 yard bank.

I loaded 60 grs FFg and tried again, this time it hit the base of the 200 yard shelf. I set the sights at 300 and missed the pin by a hair, didnt allow for the wind was my excuse.

The trigger pull is AWEFUL, probably around 10-12 lbs. It seems to prefer the bigger RCBS bullet, I was able to confirm it has a 1-48" twist (thanks Dave), and I think the shorter REAL bullets are too short to stabilize.

Im not sure how to correct the hitting left, unless I use Kentucky windage.
Any suggestions?

BTW, 25 rounds off the bench with 60 grs FFg by volume in the carbine was plenty for one day, my shoulder was feeling it at quitting time.

Comments, suggestions, advice anyone? I am not looking for a match load at this time, just a hunting load for deer season.

Thanks,
Eterry

ms3635v
08-30-2010, 06:55 AM
Eterry,

I tried the REAL bullet about 30+ years ago on a whim and quickly found out they are not a good choice for accurate shooting in a muzzleloading musket or carbine. The solid base REAL has no chance to expand sufficiently to engage the rifling. I had a Parker Hale musketoon when I first joined the N-SSA and it shot very well with the Lyman 575460 Old Style minie with 45 grains of 3F DuPont back then. I also hunted whitetails with the musketoon with the same load of 45 grains of 3F with the Lyman bullet and it was sufficient to take a whitetail down out to 100 yards. There are many choices of hollow base bullets available that will make your musketoon shoot accurately.

Mike
Co. B, 1st PA Cavalry, MA Region