PDA

View Full Version : Case Cleaning Media and solvent

bobanderson
08-16-2010, 09:56 AM
For sale - Ceramic case cleaning media and solvent

For all of your brass cartridge cases. Small diameter, angle cut media
cleans the inside and outside of rifle and pistol cases plus the primer pockets.
Will work equally well on Maynard and other percussion fired brass cases.

Media is $6 per pound. Solvent is $10 per quart. A kit can be shipped direct
in a flat rate box for $10.70 or I can bring it to the fort in the fall.

4 pounds plus a tablespoonful of solvent will clean a batch of over 100
45-70 size cases in 4 to 6 hours in a rotary, rock polisher style tumbler
(Thumlers Tumbler or RCBS Sidewinder style) or in a vibratory style
like the Lyman Turbo Tumbler.

I have used this method for over 6 years now and have been accused of
using new brass on more than one occasion. I use a Thumlers Model B
rotary style tumbler (http://www.thumlerstumbler.com/rotary.html)
and just finished cleaning 130+ 40-65 WCF cases from a weekend Black
Powder Cartridge Silhouette match.

Pictures are available if you send me an email.

Dave also sells 2" diameter x .025" corrugated paper cleaning patches
in 1000 count bags for $10. Yes, I said PAPER! These patches are great for
cleaning black powder firearms and are widely used by shooters who swab
their bores between shots in BPCR matches. They are washable and can be
re-used a couple of times to save money. One Master Class silhouette shooter
I know only uses "used" patches during the match. I use them for cleaning my
musket, Smith carbine and smooth bore musket in N-SSA competitions.

To order direct, send an email to Dave Maurer at dkittydave@aol.com. You can order
any quantity of media, solvent or patches. Dave will put your order in the best sized
USPS Flat Rate Box. He does not charge any additional handling fees over the actual
cost charged by the Post Office.

08-16-2010, 11:51 AM
I fully support the endorsement of this product. It is shocking at how well it works. I had some black, crusty brass shells which I had shot with black powder and forgotten about for a year, and thought that I would have to throw out. But I put them through this cleaning process, and had them come out GLEAMING BRIGHT! I have used it every since.

I have tried to clean my brass blackpowder shells with every other type of media (corncob, walnut, different solutions), and have always found that they will get clean up to a point, but will still be tarnished. After a certain point you just end up polishing the tarnish, but not removing it. The ceramic media is the only thing I have found which COMPLETELY removes the blackpowder fouling and tarnish.

I find that I usually don't even have to tumble it for more than a couple of hours to get even really dirty shells shiny bright. Works great for Smith, Maynard, and Gallagher shells, too. Haven't tried Burnsides yet, though. For smaller shells, they sell the media in smaller sized pellets.

bobanderson
08-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks, Glenn.

The media offered here is 1/8" diameter by about .200" long with an approx. 30 degree angled cut at each end.

I've used this to clean 38 special cases and it even scours out the small primer pockets.

Dave started selling this to the BPCR guys about 6 or 7 years ago and we all swear by it. Since my
"enlistment" in the N-SSA, I've shown this to my teammates and all who tried it, love it.

Get rid of that dusty walnut media and that corn cob that sticks in the vent holes. This stuff does not wear
out and all the crud goes down the drain.

PS - I'm not making a dime on this. Dave's a classy guy and a great shooter who competes in BPCR matches
all over the country.

08-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Hi Bob,
Have you tried the ceramic media made in little spheres, rather than the pellet shape? I've heard that this is for the smaller cases.

Also, I have never tried it in a regular vibratory tumbler. When I first got the ceramic media, Dave told me that it was too heavy for them and would wear out the motor quickly. Is that no longer the case?

bobanderson
08-16-2010, 01:10 PM
I use small diameter with square cut ends, which I bought it about 5 years ago, for all of my large primer type cases.

Since then, Dave brought out the angled cut media, which will work better in all applications. Eventually, I'll sell or swap out
what I have and use just one type. Since it doesn't seem to be showing any signs of age, I may be using it for a while.

I bought a Dillon vibratory cleaner just to use this media and it came with a big sign on top that said using water would void the warranty, so I sold it...quick. I have a Midway vibratory cleaner that Dave wanted me to modify by putting a bolt through the counterweight to increase the "throw". That would have voided the lifetime warranty, so I didn't want to experiment with it.

For my money, I'm sticking with the rotary type. It doesn't seem to work very hard and it does a great job. One guy I just got started in the game bought an el cheapo from Harbor Freight and it works just fine.

I did discover that I can use a Midway media separator with this method. I mount it on a 5 gallon plastic pail and have an old aluminum colander that just fits under the separator. It catches the media and lets the gunk pass through.

08-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Same here. When I first started using it I got a Thumbler's Tumbler, which works great. Later I got another, used Thumbler's at a gun show for $20 (even though one holds more brass than I would ever be cleaning at once anyway). Later still, I got a mini Thumbler's in a gem tumbling kit at a garage sale for like $5, which is great if I only have a handful of cases to clean.

I think the media is indestructible; I don't think you could wear it out cleaning brass if you tried.

fullertc
08-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Bob, Please bring me a kit of the new angled cut media w/ solvent to Carleton. Do you think that 1# of media would take care of the double canisters on my rock tumbler? They're each about the size of the small red plastic coffee can I have in my trailer.

Lee Hoffecker
08-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Several years ago I ran across a gentleman who was using ground up CD and DVD plastic disks as a medium in his blast cabnet instead of sand or glass beads. He claimed it would work in tumblers as well. Has anyone tried ground up CD's and DVD's?
Lee

fullertc
08-18-2010, 06:50 PM
I don't know about that but seeing the Monks Corner, SC reminded me of an old man who built muzzleloaders having the lock parts on the outside of the lockplate rather than on the inside. Don't recall his name but I was at Camp Lejeune, NC in 1973-74 and a member of the Swamp Fox Muzzleloaders out to Travis Meadow's place in Swansboro, Star Route 16. Travis and he were friends. I was going to visit him when I got out in Nov '74 but headed north instead, for better or worse.