PDA

View Full Version : Glare on back sight

Charlie White
04-24-2024, 05:04 PM
Since I can?t find any sight black anymore what are people using to reduce the glare on the back sight?
Thanks Charlie

Joe
04-24-2024, 05:16 PM
Since I can?t find any sight black anymore what are people using to reduce the glare on the back sight?
Thanks Charlie
I use Rapine Sight Black.

Charlie White
04-24-2024, 05:41 PM
I use Rapine Sight Black.
Who sells that?

John Bly
04-24-2024, 09:04 PM
I use Midway mold release. It's mostly spray graphite with a dull gray finish.

Charlie White
04-24-2024, 09:08 PM
I use Midway mold release. It's mostly spray graphite with a dull gray finish.
Ok thanks I will try that and by the way I?m loving the Mississippi thanks

Muley Gil
04-24-2024, 11:04 PM
I never had any trouble with glare on my sights UNTIL someone told me to try shooting with my eyes OPEN.............................................. ..........................

bobanderson
04-25-2024, 07:26 AM
I bought a flat black paint pen from Amazon.

Lasts longer than the spray.

Don Dixon
04-25-2024, 08:20 AM
The historic standby - a carbide lamp and carbide. It gives the best flat black available.

Kevin Tinny
04-25-2024, 08:53 AM
Hello:
Not sure about open flame "on the line", but smoke from a burning plastic disposable knife, fork or spoon should work without buildup.
Respectfully,
Kevin Tinny

YOU DON'T KNOW ?
04-25-2024, 09:17 AM
Lol, burning plastic spoons? Try a carbide sight smoker. If you can't get that, try fat wood. Better know as lightered knot in the south. You'll have to go behind the fence to light it or the carbide smoker. Excellent carbide smoker. Get it at creedmoor sports .
Carbide is available from Walmart online. 1 lb will last a year or two. Keep it sealed and away from high humidity or it will deteriorate.

Lou Lou Lou
04-25-2024, 09:19 AM
As I remember seeing folks outside the fence using those carbide devices to blacken sights

Don Dixon
04-25-2024, 02:57 PM
Hello:
Not sure about open flame "on the line", but smoke from a burning plastic disposable knife, fork or spoon should work without buildup.

And why would I use a carbide lamp on-line?

Charlie White
04-25-2024, 03:21 PM
Lol, burning plastic spoons? Try a carbide sight smoker. If you can't get that, try fat wood. Better know as lightered knot in the south. You'll have to go behind the fence to light it or the carbide smoker. Excellent carbide smoker. Get it at creedmoor sports .
Carbide is available from Walmart online. 1 lb will last a year or two. Keep it sealed and away from high humidity or it will deteriorate.
Thanks I will check it out

Keith Williams
04-25-2024, 06:41 PM
Like Bob said, Birchwood Casey sells Super Black "Touch-Up Pen" flat black for 10 bones.

Take care.

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

"People care about looking good while doing evil." - Elon Musk

John Westenberger
05-11-2024, 09:28 PM
Amazon sells a "super black" acrylic paint I've recently been using. It goes on with a brush, and gives a black even flatter (read: less glare) than even sight black, but it is certainly a fragile finish, and not one I'd really want to do on the line if I didn't have to. I have had very good luck with it so far.

Keith Williams
05-13-2024, 08:40 PM
Thanks John, I will try the mold release and add it into my file...PB Blaster Graphite Dry Lube might work also...have not tried yet.

Options are good.

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

"General Lee, I have no division." - Major George Pickett