PDA

View Full Version : Need Help-Maynard reduced capacity brass cases

Rlevin
08-13-2010, 12:39 PM
I just purchased 50 reduced capacity brass cartridge cases from S&S (great folks) and I tried to load 24 gr of FFF but it made the overall length too long in that it caused the bullet to jamn against the lands. I tried tapping the case but that did not work. The most powder I can put in the brass case and still keep the cartridge at 1.80 inches is 19.5 gr. Since most of the recommendations are for 24 gr I am looking for a solution. The Maynard is an original Model 2 in excellent condition. Is 19.5 gr enough? Obviously I am new to the Maynard and still learning. I have not shot the carbine yet and I am waiting until I get this solved. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Russ Levin
C2 Berdan

Lou Lou Lou
08-13-2010, 03:04 PM
How did you come up with the 24gr load, if you haven't shot the gun?
Try several different loads for group size. Having the bullet engage the lands in not a problem. At least it never has been an issue.

DAVE FRANCE
08-13-2010, 09:01 PM
The bullet engaging the rifling is an advantage for accuracy. It is more of an advantage for cast bullets than with modern bullets because the cast bullet can be damaged as it hits the throat or rifling more than a modern bullet can.

David

RangerFrog
08-14-2010, 08:33 AM
I'm shooting a new Romano 1st Model with reduced brass and have never been able to stuff more than 21.5-22 gr of FFFg GOEX into my reduced capacity brass cases. I am shooting a Lyman 515139 bullet cast 25-1 Lead to Tin and have no problem with seating a round, or even removing a "live" round from the chamber. I have a tight chamber as brass from an original Maynard will not fit.

froggie

R. McAuley 3014V
08-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Russ,

Was trying to replicate your problem. What case length are your S&S Maynard cases? The reduced capacity cases I have are at least 30 years old, and have an OAL of 1.1875” and have no problem taking up to 28 grs with sufficient space left to seat Larry Romano’s long 395-gr (0.875” OAL) .50 cal bullet, and is still below an OAL of 1.75”. Each of my other .50 Maynard-Smith bullets are shorter in length (i.e. 0.563 and 0.75), which still would not replicate your problem. While I know the old black plastic Maynard cases were still shorter (at 1.1"), they also were not a reduced capacity case, and burnt out a lot faster than the brass cases.

Richard

MikeArthur
08-14-2010, 06:36 PM
hey Russ, give me a call and i think we may be able to solve your problem..

mike arthur
hart's battery, csa
843 412-1992 :D