PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun loads

Stefan
08-12-2010, 01:56 PM
This black powder question is not Skirmishing related, but hopefully someone might be able to answer. I have been comparing load data for black powder vs smokeless shotgun shells. It seems like all smokeless shotgun powder is very fast burning, similar to pistol powder. However, most shotgun black powder loads that I have read about calls for 2F powder. Why this difference? Why would you need a fast-burning smokeless load and a slow-burning black powder load?

Joe 3rd N C Art 2440V
08-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Black powder load: Low Pressure. Smokeless Powder load: Higher Pressure.

Greg Ogdan, 11444
08-12-2010, 04:28 PM
If you compare burn rates, FFg black is still faster tham most smokless shotgun powders.

Southron Sr.
08-13-2010, 11:33 AM
I had an "Experience" using FFFFg (Fast burning priming powder) in a repro Brown Bess one time.

My Brown Bess "Shotgun Loads" usually consisted of 90 grains of FFg and a 12 Gauge, plastic Shot Cup that I had filled with #6 shot. To hold the sides together and seal off the end of the Shot Cup, I used paper tape. I used the load on squirrrels, crows and other assorted small game.

My "Cartridge Tube" was nothing more than a fired 12 Gauge shell. I would dump the powder in it, insert the Shot Cup with only the base sticking out about a half inch. Using that system, I could load my Brown Bess just like I loaded my rifle-musket in Skirmishes.

So, I was out shooting at a range with a "friend" who was something of a practical joker. Unknown to me, he dumped the FFg powder out of one of my loaded Bess rounds and REPLACED the powder with what he estimated was approximately 90 grains of FFFFg priming powder!

When I loaded the round in my Italian Brown Bess, I had no idea what was about to happen.

I was going to "pattern" the Bess, so I shot that "doctored" load from the kneeling position.

THE RECOIL FROM THAT "FAST BURNING" FFFFg POWDER WAS SO SEVERE THAT I WAS ACTUALLY KNOCKED FLAT OF MY BACK FROM THE KNEELING POSITION!

The report of the Brown Bess was very loud and the next day I sported a rather badly bruised shoulder.

When I pressed my "friend" he confessed to switching the powder. I was so mad, I didn't speak to him for several months and never again went shooting with him.

My point is: I sincerely doubt that original (and especially Damascus shotgun barrels) could ONLY SAFELY handle slow burning FFg and Fg black powder loads. Modern Smokeless powder loads for shotguns are much FASTER BURNING - Hence, trying to compare black and smokeless burning rates in shotguns is like trying to compare apples and oranges.