PDA

View Full Version : Question on ID of Custom Locks

Tim Iannuzzi
03-10-2024, 11:23 AM
So, as a relatively new member of the N-SSA, I've found myself going down the rabbit hole of researching and acquiring different custom made Skirmish guns. In doing so, I've spent hours reading through history of custom guns made/bought/sold on the forum, and the various gun and parts makers.

In all the posts however, I've never been able to figure out if there is a good way to tell the difference in what type of custom lock your looking at on gun. Seems there were 4 well respected folks on here that made custom locks used by many of the custom gun builders: Cross, Haack, Harmon, and O'Neil. The only one I know for sure how to ID is O'Neil, as he stamped/numbered his locks. My question is, did the others provide any markings or way to identify their locks? I know the various builders here used not only different custom locks, but typically a mix original and repro parts. Just wanted to check to see if anyone has some insights to share.

Thanks,

Tim Iannuzzi
48th VA Infantry

John Bly
03-10-2024, 08:40 PM
Harmon generally marked his name on the inside of the lockplate. I don't know about the others. Rich Cross made lots of internal lock parts that were exact copies of originals. Don't know if he made many locks. His internal parts were not marked.

Harry Gaul
03-11-2024, 06:45 PM
I am a big fan of Frankenstein muskets. In my opinion a good skirmish musket or any firearm for that matter needs a good barrel and a good lock. Original musket locks are reasonability priced in the $250 range. It is hard to beat the original lock for reliability. Next, you need a good repro barrel from a good barrel maker. I have had success with Numrich, Hoyt and Whitacre barrels. The rest of the musket is just fluff. A good lock and barrel will beat a good looking, "pretty" musket any day. You find a bullet, work up a load, and bang away at birds, blocks and targets all day without a major problem.

The supply of original parts is slowly drying up, but to breathe new life into an old part is really, really, cool.

I own original firearms but my go to firearm is a Frankenstein put together with parts and patina from different muskets. The muskets are SAC approved. I do not take original muskets apart, but put parts together to breathe life into an old soldier.

crackle and lightening, noise and thunder! It alive! It alive with tongues of fire, and the clay pigeons fall like snow beneath the smoke.

Harry in Pa.
Forney's
03626v