PDA

View Full Version : Harpers Ferry Arms Maynard

James McAlister
03-05-2024, 12:00 PM
I have a 1975 HFA Maynard and I know I'll need to get a SAC card on it. My question is, "What specifically is SAC looking for and are the remedies, if any?". The chamber on mine seems a tad on the loose side. (I know earlier ones used proprietary cartridges). Can the chamber be relined? Are there other issues that need to be addressed?
I have an original 2nd Model that I shoot, but have a new shooter who wants to shoot Maynard in Carbine. I would like to get this one up and safe and legal and see if my new shooter sticks with it before plunking down the $$$ for another original.

Thanks in advance.

Lou Lou Lou
03-05-2024, 03:14 PM
You might just have to submit it for individual approval since only 1976 onward is approved for Manufacturers approval. Good luck

John Holland
03-05-2024, 04:24 PM
Lou is correct, all that is required is that you submit it to the SAC for an Individual Approval because it predates the N-SSA Production Approval date of 1976.

James McAlister
03-05-2024, 04:48 PM
Lou is correct, all that is required is that you submit it to the SAC for an Individual Approval because it predates the N-SSA Production Approval date of 1976.
I understand that part. I am trying to address the potential problems / short comings before I drag it up to the Fort. IE: What are the specs it needs to have to pass inspection and are there any non-approved processes that will cause it to fail inspection?
Thanks.

Lou Lou Lou
03-05-2024, 06:21 PM
It should pass, the only issue is manufacture date

RaiderANV
03-07-2024, 12:46 AM
I bought a white metal First Aid kit at the Spring Nationals of 1995. I had close to 200 Aluminum and Brass Maynard cases in it loaded. I jumped on it being the Maynard freak I am and took them home and act forgot about them for several years. One day we were shooting at the farm and ran out of Maynard rounds so I went digging for that box and found it. None of those rounds fit our Maynard?s because they were slightly oversized. I found out later the HF cases were oversized and only fit the early carbine he made. I still have that Dern box with all those loaded rounds sitting around somewhere.

RangerFrog
03-07-2024, 11:29 AM
Hey PJ, have you tried the old trick of running a FL sizer from a 50-70 (with decap stem removed) down over those loaded rounds like we used to do for my early Romano with tight chamber? I think it was John Bly who turned me on to doing it that way.
I can bring my die and hand press to the fort sometime when we?re both there if you would like.
Your Phriendly ?Phibian

Tom Magno, 9269V
03-07-2024, 11:36 AM
Hey PJ, have you tried the old trick of running a FL sizer from a 50-70 (with decap stem removed) down over those loaded rounds like we used to do for my early Romano with tight chamber? I think it was John Bly who turned me on to doing it that way.
I can bring my die and hand press to the fort sometime when we?re both there if you would like.
Your Phriendly ?Phibian

I can attest this works - I had my original relined by Bobby Hoyt and the chamber was a tad tighter than my existing loaded rounds. Ran them through my 50-70 full length sizer (with appropriate shell plate) and voila they fit. Now be sure to use enough case lube or they WILL get stuck in the sizer, and you'll rip off the rim trying to pull it out.

RangerFrog
03-07-2024, 12:10 PM
We have several different Maynards in First Valley Rangers, and if ammo gets shared, this is a key step in reloading.. I just use it as my final step in all my loading like a ?taper crimp? in modern reloading of metallic cartridges.
froggie

RaiderANV
03-07-2024, 12:36 PM
I have the same setup for my Lee Hand Press to resize cases. This cases were actually made larger. There was a tag in the box saying they went with carbine #9. I have seen two other early HF carbine that had oversized chambers.

John Bly
03-30-2024, 09:14 PM
Some of those early Harper's Ferry Maynards were chambered with a 9/16" diameter reamer(.562" diameter) versus the .547/.550 diameter original chambers. Many years ago when I worked in a machine shop I made a set of cases for one. I've been retired for 11 years now and can't make Maynard cases anymore but I can sleeve the chamber to normal size so you can use the available cases.