PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Electronic Powder Throw

Terry Schultz, 10057
03-02-2024, 02:52 PM
I know that everyone that makes an automatic powder throw says that black powder should not be used in them (this my just be a CYA disclamer). But even those that make manual powder throws say not to use black powder in them but I have been using my RCBS competition powder throw for over 30 years and never had any problems and neither has anyone that I know that does the same.
I Recently acquired a Reloading Basic RD Exquisite Digital Powder Automatic Distribution Electronic Scale DPS1500? from Amazon and it works great. It is about $200 less than the RCBS version but looks very similar to it. The shaft that turns to dispense powder is made from aluminum not steel so I don?t expect it to build up any static or sparks.

So, the question is, is anyone else useing an automatic powder throw and if so for how long?

Also has anyone first hand knowledge of any accidents with the use of this type of machine?

Bill Stallings
03-03-2024, 07:10 AM
ive been using a rcbs chargemaster or their earlier electronic dispensers for 20 years with zero problems and will continue. ive never heard of anyone else having a problem.

Maillemaker
03-03-2024, 05:31 PM
I've been using an RCBS Chargemaster, and now the Chargemaster Lite, for many years with no issues. I know other people do also.

Black powder is actually very difficult to set off with static electricity. There is not enough current to generate heat. A static spark is not like a flint spark that is actually a burning piece of steel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdHdnnhy5Ro

Here is me trying to set off some home-made black powder with a stun gun.