PDA

View Full Version : New Recruits - Uniforms, Equipment, and Supplies

Keith Williams
02-29-2024, 04:25 PM
As of 2023, I bought all new accoutrements as I joined a confederate cavalry team. I will drop names to where I saved money upon buying my items. No particular order.

1) S&S Firearms
2) C&C Sutlery
3) Fall Creek Sutlery
4) Blockade Runner
5) eBay
6) Amazon
7) Etsy
8) Dixie Gun Works
9) Atlanta Cutlery
10) The Possible Shop
11) Lodgewood Manufacturing
12) Taylor and Company Firearms
13) North East Trade-bullet sizers
14) Muzzle Loaders
15) Midway USA
16) A Local Seamstress
17) MidSouth Shooters Supply
18) Historical Emporium
19) Maine Powder House

There are more companies and websites to find your items, as I said...these were the best priced places where I bought from.

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

PoorJack
03-01-2024, 09:17 AM
Some other sources

Tom Crone
Whitacre Machine
Back Creek Gun Shop

Having been a reenactor, I can also add-

North State Haberdashery
The Depot
Milk Creek Merchantile
C&D Jarnigan
Top Hat Sutlery
James Country Merchantile
Dirty Billys Hats

Another source for used items is a FB page dedicated to reenactors buying and selling stuff. I also recommend new guys get just the bare minimum to meet their unit's uniform requirement. The new guys can "up their game" later as they gain experience and find out what they want vs what they need. If you go to reenactments, some have a fair amount of sutlers there and there's always a "swap meet" going on with a couple. At a recent small reenactment, I bought 2 cap pouches for $5 each and a belt with a repro period VMI buckle for $15. There are deals out there, you just have to be patient and keep your eyes open.

Muley Gil
03-01-2024, 09:52 PM
Buy the best quality gear you can afford. You'll save money in the long run. I still have and use gear bought in the early '70s.

Keith Williams
03-01-2024, 11:39 PM
You are correct Gil, unfortunately Yeck is gone as well as other quality suppliers which peppered the old skirmish lines. I had problems with S&S leather recently...if it was (real) leather (not bashing, stating fact) my leather holster would not have crumbled and split when I slide it across my belt moreover, when I soaked the cover latch strap in water it disintegrated within a minute. Yes, it could have been super old stock...but my old leathers and my fathers (60's-70's) has not failed like that. Yes, buyer beware...but damn its hard to find anything of quality now days.

Take care,

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

Ben Nevlezer
03-02-2024, 12:49 PM
You are correct Gil, unfortunately Yeck is gone as well as other quality suppliers which peppered the old skirmish lines. I had problems with S&S leather recently...if it was (real) leather (not bashing, stating fact) my leather holster would not have crumbled and split when I slide it across my belt moreover, when I soaked the cover latch strap in water it disintegrated within a minute. Yes, it could have been super old stock...but my old leathers and my fathers (60's-70's) has not failed like that. Yes, buyer beware...but damn its hard to find anything of quality now days.

Take care,

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

For high quality leathers I recommend Dell's Leather Goods. I purchased a cartridge box from them a few years ago to replace my "economy" grade one that was falling apart after less than 10 years. It is very well made to exact original dimensions and made with high quality leather. And you will be supporting one of our sutlers!
Ben Nevlezer.
1st US Artillery,
NE region IG.

Keith Williams
03-03-2024, 03:26 PM
Thanks Ben for turning me onto Dells Leather...good to know. BigTexasLeatherWork, does great work as well...he works through Etsy and I was very impressed by his work - the quality was great.

Options are good!

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

"Help! Help! I'm being repressed!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Keith Williams
03-26-2024, 09:46 PM
Also check this thread for additional uniform apparel.

Available patterns for Confederate shirts & pants (https://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/showthread.php/21860-Available-patterns-for-Confederate-shirts-amp-pants)

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

PoorJack
03-27-2024, 07:30 AM
The problem with the "economy" grade leather items these days is they're mostly made in places like Pakistan out of whatever leather they have. The stuff looks good but quality can be iffy. I'd stick with a known quality vendor or buy used reenactor gear that has proven it can hold up. If you can get into the reenactor loop, they often sell gear and some of it is great quality made back in the day.

Muley Gil
03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
The problem with the "economy" grade leather items these days is they're mostly made in places like Pakistan out of whatever leather they have. The stuff looks good but quality can be iffy. I'd stick with a known quality vendor or buy used reenactor gear that has proven it can hold up. If you can get into the reenactor loop, they often sell gear and some of it is great quality made back in the day.

EXACTLY! The only true "economy" gear is used QUALITY gear.

Maillemaker
03-27-2024, 05:22 PM
I bought my leathers from S&S Firearms 12 years ago. They are just now starting to have some of the stitching come undone.

My next set I'm buying some Louisiana-stamped authentic gear from Missouri Boot and Shoe.

Lou Lou Lou
03-27-2024, 05:57 PM
I got mine 43 years ago from Old Sutler John. They are still near perfect