PDA

View Full Version : Ballard questions

jmiller
08-10-2010, 07:28 PM
I have a chance to get a 1861 Ballard Carbine, in 44 rimfire, and have a few questions from you knowledgeable folks! Is it possible to turn this into a skermishable carbine? The bore is dark, with good rifleing but is there a conversion to turn it from a rimfire, to a centerfire? Also, what cartridge should it be converted to? I thank you in advance for your knowledge, and don't be afraid to tell me if this is a waste of time, and money. Green

Edwin Flint, 8427
08-11-2010, 12:47 AM
Need to know the maker before we can answer the question. Very likely it can be. The most common caliber is 44-40 WCF. The Ballard patent date was on arms until long after the CW.

jmiller
08-11-2010, 07:28 AM
While I had the Ballard in my possesion, I could find no other markings other than these. Ballard patent nov 1861 , and duplicate serial numbers on the barrel and breech 17xx . Do you know where the makers info would be on the rifle? Thanks.

Jack C., 69th NY
08-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Going by the serial number alone, it appears that this carbine is a Ball & Williams Ballard. Approximately 15,500 arms were produced by B&W, this being a mixture of military and sporting models. Up until the #9000 range, the makers marks are on the top three flats of the octagon portion of the barrel. At some point after that, they were moved to the two sides of the frame. Another indicator is the construction of the breechblock. Around the same time that the markings were moved to the frame, the block was changed from a one piece design, to a split, two piece design. On the side of the block, you may find the last two or three digits of the serial number stamped.

The best single source about Ballards is John Dutcher's book, Ballard, The Great American Single Shot Rifle. S&S Firearms stocks it, as well as Ballard wood and some parts.

The Ballard carbine is readily re-chambered to either 44-40 or 44 magnum. Opinions vary as to which one is the better of the two. I do not know if there is a cartridge that will fit the original chamber without modification.

The CF conversion can be done by modifying the present rim fire firing pin or by having a CF unit installed by a qualified individual. I believe the SAC has a list of approved processes for these conversions.

Keep in mind that this carbine cannot be shot in the carbine team matches. It is classified as a Breechloader/Carbine II.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ! Before you start modifying or doing any "destructive"work on a Ballard, check back on the bulletin board or email a member of the SAC. If you are lucky enough to acquire a martially marked Ballard carbine, the last thing you want to do is to mess with it in any manner. Now that would be a waste of money as well as killing it's collector value. If this carbine has a dual ignition ( RF and percussion) block, you really do not want to ruin it's collector value but this does happen.

I hope this helps you out. Send me a PM or email at irish1861@aol.com.

RangerFrog
08-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Two quick points;

First, there is a conversion piece available it your breech block is of the rim fire and percussion type. I believe it comes from Gator Den and it simply replaces the nipple with a small screw-in unit that is composed of an outer sleeve, a spring, and a firing pin. This makes your gun a center fire unit. Finding/making proper cases or rechambering the existing barrel for a current case completes the job.

Before I did anything, though, I would contact John Holland, the SAC guy in charge, and get confirmation that the gun would be SAC-approved for competition. He is the go-to guy on the committee and can give you definitive info that you need. He saved me a lot of time and heartache.

Regards and Good Luck!
RangerFrog

Jack C., 69th NY
08-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Charlie,
That center fire conversion unit can only be used in Brown Ballards and late Merrimack arms. The earlier Ballards had a fire channel that made a "dog leg", hindering the flame of the percussion cap. Late Merrimacks and all (?) Browns had a straight, inline channel allowing the use of this CF conversion unit. Richard Schoenberger can modify a Ball & Williams block to accept his SAC approved conversion process.

Good advice.............. check out a project before you start. That could save some unwanted problems later on......... especially when one goes for SAC approval.