PDA

View Full Version : Carbine bore deep cleaning

Dave Fox
02-17-2024, 08:55 AM
My first CW carbine was a New Model 1863 Sharps, which I acquired as a teenager in 1960. Contrasted with most others I've shot, it's notably inaccurate. The bore's dark, has some pitting, but the rifling is sharp. First years I was shooting undersize minies, so suspect there are lead deposits. Am contemplating deep cleaning the bore. With a modest workshop, my first thought would be JB Bore Cleaner on tight-fitting patches and bronze brushes and a lot of elbow grease. Before I start, I'm sure open to other suggestions....

Carolina Reb
02-17-2024, 09:09 AM
Dave, I'd start with Shooters Choice lead remover and see if your patches come out black. Once you have the lead out go for some JBs to smooth things up. That stuff is abrasive, very similar to engine valve grinding compound, You can over-do the cleanup. Work from the breech so you don't swamp out the muzzle. My '59 Sharps carbine has a pretty rough looking bore, but it's a tack driver. Sharps (and Smiths) are surprisingly tolerant of less than perfect bore condition. Check the whole gun over. How is the barrel crown? Is the buttstock tight against the receiver? What is the groove diameter at the front of the chamber? This varies a lot in Sharps, and a 0.001" too small bullet will shoot lousy. Good luck on your project!

Don Dixon
02-17-2024, 09:09 AM
Since the carbine was purchased in 1960, I assume it is an original weapon rather than a reproduction. Have you looked at the bore with a bore scope - such as a Hawkeye - to determine the condition of the bore? I.E., is it badly leaded, what is the state of corrosion/pitting, etc. Without knowing the condition of the bore, what techniques should you use for "deep cleaning" in order to achieve your desired objective. In military terms, reconnaissance is advisable before attack.

bobanderson
02-17-2024, 09:27 AM
After a proper inspection of the bore and how your bullet fits your barrel, I'd suggest you consider fire lapping as a way to smooth out rough spots and choke the bore.

Fire lapping kits were offered by Lead Bullet Technologies, a.k.a LBT, years ago. A Google search should tell you who offers them now.

Dave Fox
02-21-2024, 10:01 PM
Considerable time and effort running tight patches gooped with JB compound and wetted with various bore cleaning solution resulted in an amazing improvement. Old girl's bore came out as surprisingly swell as Cinderella prepped for the ball. Can't wait to shoot her...the carbine, not Cinderella.

geezmo
02-22-2024, 02:54 PM
Good luck. Let us know how it shoots.

Robert Murphy
03-16-2024, 10:40 AM
I purchased an endoscope and I can view the bore from muzzle to breach plug. 1442314424

Keith Williams
03-17-2024, 04:31 PM
DIY Foul Out - Electrolysis Lead Removal
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threads/diy-foul-out-electrolysis-lead-removal.1152625/?post_id=11382133&nested_view=1&sortby=oldest#post-11382133

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

gemmer
03-31-2024, 09:26 AM
my first cw carbine was a new model 1863 sharps, which i acquired as a teenager in 1960. Contrasted with most others i've shot, it's notably inaccurate. The bore's dark, has some pitting, but the rifling is sharp. First years i was shooting undersize minies, so suspect there are lead deposits. Am contemplating deep cleaning the bore. With a modest workshop, my first thought would be jb bore cleaner on tight-fitting patches and bronze brushes and a lot of elbow grease. Before i start, i'm sure open to other suggestions....

pm sent to you.