PDA

View Full Version : Smithing a new hammer for my 1860

Cali Billy
08-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Hello All!

I am hoping someone might have some tips on smithing a new hammer for my 1860 sig series Colt. The full cock notch wore off/sheared off on my hammer. I purchased a new one already but it will need some smithing to work properly and I think I can do it myself, hopefully.

Some questions I have:

What tools are best. I believe ceramic stone files are the proper tools, correct?

The new hammer I have is already color case hardened. I am concerned about removing too much of the hardened surface - how deep is it?

I am aware that a proper sear notch angle must be created, what is the best way to do this when it seems the only way to check for proper engagement is when the trigger and hammer are installed inside the gun? I don't have x-ray vision!

All advice appreciated! Thanks!

Jim_Burgess_2078V
08-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Can't tell you how deep the hardened surface of your new hammer is. Every part is different. Evidently your old hammer may have been hardened too much and was brittle. The easiest way to get the proper alignment between the trigger and hammer full cock notch is to measure the exact distance between the center of the hammer screw and center of the trigger screw holes on your frame, get a flat piece of wood and drill two holes at that distance using drill bits equivalent to the size of the two screws. You can then insert the parts on the block of wood and work to get the proper orientation.
Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

Cali Billy
08-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Thanks, Jim, that makes a lot of sense.

R. McAuley 3014V
08-13-2010, 10:28 AM
I realize that you have bought a replacement hammer (which I hope fits), but in case it doesn’t fit to your satisfaction, you might send the original hammer along with the revolver to Rob Lewis with Tri-L Machine. He may be able to rebuild the broken hammer using cobalt-weld, and as he also does excellent trigger work, he could also re-tune your revolver to whatever trigger-pull you desire. He re-built a broken sear on a Liege-made (non-interchangeable) Enfield rifle of mine, and then reduced the trigger pull from 14-lbs to 4-lbs. I had to re-learn how to shoot all over again.

I realize you are trying to save money, but somethings are better to pay someone else to do. I don't know that anyone knows just which Italian maker made the signature series Colts, but not all Italian-made parts interchange.

Cali Billy
08-14-2010, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the tip,

Lord knows it is not easy to find a gunsmith that can do good work on a cap n ball.