PDA

View Full Version : west va offhand championship

hp gregory, 9128
08-09-2010, 11:54 AM
this bit of information is mainly about never being to old to shoot. mr elwood cullers was kind enough to teach me how to shoot round ball many years ago. he did this by whipping me time after time. i had the choice to either turn tail and quit or put the effort in to make myself better. i decided to do the work and got to where i could shoot pretty decent. elwood and I always looked forward to shooting against each other. we always worked hard to try and beat one another because we knew that it only made us better. i was a lotta fun.
my mentor will soon be 70 years old. hes had some physical problems of late but nothing that couldnt be fixed. his shooting isnt what it once was but hes still pretty dam good when he wants to be. the one shoot that he always looked forward to has been the west va offhand championship. they shoot a little bit of everything there. its one of the premier east coast roundball shoots. top shooters from all over come to see who the top dog will be. this years shoot was held this past weekend. the top winner this year was an almost 70 year old gentleman who looks and acts like santa claus. mr cullers relived his past and won the match again beating the best shooters in several states. so for all of us who sometimes think we are to old to shoot, we need to give some thought to mr cullers. it would seem hes never to old to get the job done.

hp gregory

John Bly
08-09-2010, 12:33 PM
I've known Elwood for more years than I can count and he has always been in the winner's circle. It took a lot of arm twisting to get him to come skirmishing with us. Those guns with big minies did not appeal to him much. He has won his share of awards in the N-SSA. He is probably the one who twisted your arm Mr. Gregory to come shoot in the N-SSA. You have him to thank for all your awards. He taught you well. We still need to win the Nat'ls while he can still get it done.

Bob Elka, 12001
08-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Elwood should prove to be an inspiration to everyone. With all his recent health issues to have the drive necessary to rehabilitate himself and return to winning form in that crowd is a monumental feat. I have quite a collection of 2nd and third place awards having fallen just behind Elwood and H.P . He will always be a serious competitor when it comes to anything with a trigger and certainly was instrumental in showing me and many others some of the important things in life. It's great to be a winner but to truly enjoy it requires sharing your success with good friends. :D

Lou Lou Lou
08-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Congratulations! Well done.

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
08-10-2010, 07:39 AM
HP,

Thanks for sharing the story of Elwoods success..should prove as both an inspiration and motivation to keep some of us off the porch and on the firing line !!!

Well shot Elwood...well shot !

Phil