PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Musket Stock Conversion

ead
01-15-2024, 12:32 AM
Hey guys, can the Original US 1855, 1861 & 1863 rifle musket stocks be converted to work as a Fayetteville rifle replacement stock if you use original
C.S.A. Parts.

Rebel Dave
01-15-2024, 01:23 PM
Hi ead
Yes, you can use a 55, 61, 63 stock to make a Fayetteville rifle. You wlll have to make either the hi hump, or later model lower hump lock plate fit.
I suggest you contact "John Holland" and get an N-SSA spec sheet for the model you want to build. His contact info is at the top of the "Small Arms Forum", that you posted in.

Hope this helps. Dave

John Bly
01-18-2024, 07:18 AM
The Fayetteville rifle has a heavier barrel than a musket. The barrel will not fit into a musket stock. The bands are larger also. You may be able to make it work if you replace the wood in front of the rear band.

John Holland
01-18-2024, 10:12 AM
The stock & barrel from a Euroarms M-1855/61 will work for a conversion to a Fayetteville or 1855 Rifle. Their barrels were produced oversize for liability issues, so the stocks are also oversize to match the barrels. The Euroarms 1855/61 barrels are actually 0.010" larger in diameter than an original 1855 H.F. or Fayetteville barrel.

ead
01-21-2024, 07:03 PM
Wow, that's a bummer as I now have an original 1855 Musket stock coming in the mail. Thanks for the info John Bly and Holland at least now I know now that I'm headed in the wrong direction and need a new plan. It'll be interesting to see how easily I can get a stock from Euroarms.

Muley Gil
01-21-2024, 10:50 PM
Wow, that's a bummer as I now have an original 1855 Musket stock coming in the mail. Thanks for the info John Bly and Holland at least now I know now that I'm headed in the wrong direction and need a new plan. It'll be interesting to see how easily I can get a stock from Euroarms.

Euroarms has been defunct for many, many years. IIRC, they were bought by Pedersoli.

ead
01-22-2024, 02:24 PM
Thanks Muley,
Maybe Pedersoli would have the stock. :confused:

BADSHOT
01-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Don't waste your money on a full-length musket stock. The band spacing is entirely incorrect, John Bly was correct in what he responded, you can make a cutdown 1861 stock work by adding a Fayetteville forearm (splicing it at the rear band location). FYI- John Bly also sells forearms so keep his contact information.

And one last thing- Please don't consider cutting the forearm off the 1855 Stock you said you have coming in the mail, it is way too valuable to destroy. There are still cutdown musket stocks out there, one just sold last night on Gun broker, so you still can find them. If you have any more questions, please just ask.

Steve

ead
01-24-2024, 12:10 PM
Don't waste your money on a full-length musket stock. The band spacing is entirely incorrect, John Bly was correct in what he responded, you can make a cutdown 1861 stock work by adding a Fayetteville forearm (splicing it at the rear band location). FYI- John Bly also sells forearms so keep his contact information.

And one last thing- Please don't consider cutting the forearm off the 1855 Stock you said you have coming in the mail, it is way too valuable to destroy. There are still cutdown musket stocks out there, one just sold last night on Gun broker, so you still can find them. If you have any more questions, please just ask.

Steve
O.K. Steve, Have the stock and so on your recommendation I won't butcher it for my Fayetteville project, so now I'll need to sell it to finance the purchase of the correct stock. Still have to find a stock, barrel, barrel bands and end cap of brass and the swivel that goes on the trigger guard, etc. I want it for a shooter, so I guess I'll have to get an 1863 barrel to reline or get on the list for a Whitacre barrel and Dunlap stock because in front of the lock it's pretty much a toothpick having been converted to a forager shotgun after the war. So really all I have is the 1863 lock, bronze TG with no swivel and, bronze CSA buttplate and a stock from the front of the lock on back.