PDA

View Full Version : Erma Gallager Carbine

Jack C., 69th NY
01-07-2024, 01:22 PM
At the last Nationals I picked up a well used Erma Gallager carbine. In the patch box there is a gold tape marked N-SSA & 1983. Stamped on top of the barrel appears the word "LANE". A previous owner or an original marking? I very soon learned that it had been relined to .50 cal.(?) but it would not chamber either a Gallager case nor a Smith case. Original Erma's came in .54 caliber. so something was not right. I sent it off to Bob Hoyt and he set it up for a standard Gallager case and a .517 projectile. I have yet to use it but I am assuming all is in order now.

I have been told that there was a "instruction booklet" included with each newly purchased carbine. I am wondering if anyone out there has a copy of that booklet that they could copy or scan? Thanks for your time.

Joseph Plakis Jr, 00302V
01-07-2024, 04:42 PM
Jack
I hate to use the word problem but, when you buy a case from a sutler it is "one size fits all". If it does not fit it's a problem.
It is hard to find someone to make a brass, aluminum or plastic case that "just fits your gun". That also increases the cost for the case compared to a "one size fits all" price.

Joe Plakis Jr.
Hampton Legion 00302V

krawls
01-07-2024, 06:38 PM
Lane used to adapt machine gun barrels to fit carbines. I had a friend that had a Smith with a Lane barrel.

Jack C., 69th NY
01-07-2024, 08:24 PM
Jack
I hate to use the word problem but, when you buy a case from a sutler it is "one size fits all". If it does not fit it's a problem.
It is hard to find someone to make a brass, aluminum or plastic case th at "just fits your gun". That also increases the cost for the case compared to a "one size fits all" price.

Joe Plakis Jr.
Hampton Legion 00302V

Thanks for the reply Joe. I spoke with Bob Hoyt and he said for me to send the case I planned on using along with the barrel & receiver. He fit the chamber & receiver to the
standard Gallager case offered by S&S. I don't see a problem from this point on (fingers crossed). Bob wrote on his invoice for me to use a .517 Smith or Maynard bullet. My question about LANE marking appears to be answered in another reply.

I am looking for the booklet not for instruction. but for additional information.
Thanks again Joe!

Jack C., 69th NY
01-07-2024, 08:27 PM
Lane used to adapt machine gun barrels to fit carbines. I had a friend that had a Smith with a Lane barrel.

Thanks for that info, I never knew that, much appreciated!
Jack

Kevin Tinny
01-07-2024, 08:30 PM
Hello, Jack:
If you wish, please share the twist rate in the Lane barrel. I am curious if it is for the BMG 50 ctg. Thanks.
Kevin Tinny

gemmer
01-08-2024, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the reply Joe. I spoke with Bob Hoyt and he said for me to send the case I planned on using along with the barrel & receiver. He fit the chamber & receiver to the
standard Gallager case offered by S&S. I don't see a problem from this point on (fingers crossed). Bob wrote on his invoice for me to use a .517 Smith or Maynard bullet. My question about LANE marking appears to be answered in another reply.

I am looking for the booklet not for instruction. but for additional information.
Thanks again Joe!

Bob did my Erma exactly the same way. One heads up for you. IMHO, they need a very diligent cleaning regimen in order to avoid ignition problems down the road.

Jack C., 69th NY
01-08-2024, 09:49 AM
Hello, Jack:
If you wish, please share the twist rate in the Lane barrel. I am curious if it is for the BMG 50 ctg. Thanks.
Kevin Tinny

Kevin, The barrel, marked LANE had already been re-lined, not the original multi grooved machine gun rifling. I have heard of the multi groove rifling being from German machine guns but I don't know if is fact or fiction? Bob wrote on the invoice: "Use Smith or Maynard, .517. Bore is .500, Groove is .516, twist is 1-56" Bob's work is very precise. When a round is chambered, about 1/8" of rifling is engraved on the bullet.

A question I have is"were all Erma Gallager barrels marked LANE?" Its hard to picture a German Arms maker letting a hand stamped barrel leave the factory. Very non-German.

Harry Gaul
01-08-2024, 12:17 PM
Adding my two cents to the discussion on the Erma Gallagher Carbine has mixed feelings. The Gallagher by Erma was 54 cal and reported to have used machine gun barrels left over from WW II or made on the machinery from that era. It is my understanding that the original Gallaghers were 50 cal. I am aware that there are Gallaghers on the line that been relined to 50 cal and use the Smith cartridge in the breech. Check on the approved arms list to determine if this 50 cal/Smith case is legal. At one time I own and shot a Gallagher in 54 cal but was disappointed with results. However, modified Gallaghers in 50 cal/Smith case reportly shot very well.

Happy New Year,
Harry in pa.
Forney's
03626v

Kevin Tinny
01-08-2024, 12:26 PM
Kevin, The barrel, marked LANE had already been re-lined, not the original multi grooved machine gun rifling. I have heard of the multi groove rifling being from German machine guns but I don't know if is fact or fiction? Bob wrote on the invoice: "Use Smith or Maynard, .517. Bore is .500, Groove is .516, twist is 1-56" Bob's work is very precise. When a round is chambered, about 1/8" of rifling is engraved on the bullet.

A question I have is"were all Erma Gallager barrels marked LANE?" Its hard to picture a German Arms maker letting a hand stamped barrel leave the factory. Very non-German.

Hello, Jack:

Please look at N-SSA Forum Post: "load for a Gallagher" by TOOT on 03-07-21.
Also, Francis M. Lane is shown within SAC's approved barrel work providers for muskets and carbines.
I have no knowledge of him, but doubt he provided the 50BMG barrels that Erma used.
My guess is Lane lined the factory 50BMG barrel to a better twist and stamped it LANE to comply with SAC.
Smiles.

Kevin Tinny

Steve Weems
01-08-2024, 01:09 PM
Bob did my Erma exactly the same way. One heads up for you. IMHO, they need a very diligent cleaning regimen in order to avoid ignition problems down the road.
I would like to second the
cleaning suggestion as being necessary?also use the strongest caps you can. I had excellent ignition with the old CCI 300?s but it was a victim of a reenactor lawsuit and would not be available unless someone had a hoard that they were willing to sell.

sfoster
01-08-2024, 07:12 PM
My understanding was original Erma Gallager used surplus 13.1mm machine gun barrels. Only the Luftwaffe used this gun and cartridge, so it was obsolete after the war was over. German sizes stated bore diameter, so 13.1 mm would be about a .516 inch bore. Depending on the groove depth, maybe around .53 to .54 inch caliber.

Kevin Tinny
01-08-2024, 10:17 PM
My understanding was original Erma Gallager used surplus 13.1mm machine gun barrels. Only the Luftwaffe used this gun and cartridge, so it was obsolete after the war was over. German sizes stated bore diameter, so 13.1 mm would be about a .516 inch bore. Depending on the groove depth, maybe around .53 to .54 inch caliber.

Thanks, sfoster:
Any info on rifling twist rate, please?
Thanks.
Kevin Tinny

gemmer
01-09-2024, 08:07 AM
I would like to second the
cleaning suggestion as being necessary?also use the strongest caps you can. I had excellent ignition with the old CCI 300?s but it was a victim of a reenactor lawsuit and would not be available unless someone had a hoard that they were willing to sell.

I forgot to mention hot caps. Absolutely. I'm making my own with fired caps and shapshooter 22lr compound mix for my Gallager and Sharps.

Kevin Tinny
01-09-2024, 08:58 AM
Thanks, sfoster:
Any info on rifling twist rate, please?
Thanks.
Kevin Tinny

Hello:
I found more on twist by searching here under Erma Gallaher Carbine. Richard Hill's 2008 Post indicates a fast twist. Others indicate the factory Erma had between 18" and 22". One posted 8", but I think that's a typo for 18". I have difficulty measuring twists within a couple inches, but even with my usual 2" spread, 18" - 20" seems way too fast for our use. A liner with Hoyt's 56" has many happy users. Thanks.
Kevin Tinny

Jack C., 69th NY
01-10-2024, 08:54 AM
I have been told that there was a "instruction booklet" included with each newly purchased carbine. I am wondering if anyone out there has a copy of that booklet that they could copy or scan? Thanks for your time.[/QUOTE]

Going back to my original question, I am hoping someone might have a copy of the booklet that might be copied or scanned ?
Thanks for looking!

RaiderANV
01-10-2024, 09:43 PM
I can't put my hands on mine right now but you can download it here

indaginibalistiche.it/en/erma-gallager-1860-carbine-manual-en/ (http://www.indaginibalistiche.it/en/erma-gallager-1860-carbine-manual-en/)

Jack C., 69th NY
01-11-2024, 11:40 AM
I can't put my hands on mine right now but you can download it here

indaginibalistiche.it/en/erma-gallager-1860-carbine-manual-en/ (http://www.indaginibalistiche.it/en/erma-gallager-1860-carbine-manual-en/)

​Thank you Pat! Exactly what I was looking for.