PDA

View Full Version : Hundreds of Parker Hales

threepdr
09-21-2008, 10:44 PM
I just returned from two weeks in the UK. While in Portsmouth I visited the historic dockyards to see the HMS Victory, the Mary Rose and the HMS Warrior. Warrior was England's first iron hulled war ship and was launched in 1860. The resoration was extremely well done and was complete down to the fine details.

I thought this crowd would appreciate this detail. There were about 20 weapons racks with Parker Hale made p58s complete with sword bayonets. There must have been more than 400 muskets scattered around two decks in these racks. Brand new when put in the racks back in the 80s, they are suffering from neglect. Some rust spots and for some reason most had the front sights missing. All the main springs had been removed or disconnected and the hammers had fallen to the full cock position. It was impressive to see this many Parker Hales in one place.

The down side were the pistol racks. They held the cheapest brass frame Colt Navy repros they could find. For some reason they chose the Navys in .44 caliber, which of course did not exist during the period.

Had a great time, saw lots of history, but its good to be back in the USA.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/threepdr/ParkerHales.jpg

Southron Sr.
09-22-2008, 09:48 PM
When you consider the hysterical fear that average Brition has of those terrible firearms, we should be thankful that they haven't removed the barrels and replaced them with broomsticks painted black.

As for removing the mainsprings and front sights-just their way to 'demil' those deadly, horrible weapons.

That hysterical fear the Brits have of firearms was ilustrated last week when a passenger was attempting to board an airliner at the London airport. Security guards woundn't let him on the airliner because he was wearing a "T" Shirt showing a cartoon character holding a pistol!

RaiderANV
09-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Yup,,,,that's the difference between a Subject and ah Citizen!

John Gross
09-22-2008, 11:28 PM
A reader wrote in a recent issue of MAN AT ARMS that he noticed the antique pistols on display at Culzean Castle in Great Britan had no ramrods. When he asked the guide where the ramrods were "the very dignified lady lowered her voice somewhat and advised. 'You must understand sir, these pistols are still operative.'"

John Gross

Gary/CO
10-05-2008, 08:38 PM
The HMS Warrior is the first RN ship with a flush toilet. It was in the captain's quarters and I'm quite sure he didn't share it with his officers. Everyone else used the old-fashioned, over-the-side type crapper. Our USS Monitor had all flush toilets, submerged no less. However, there is one photo of an overboard toilet aboard a monitor.

I remembered all the Enfields and Colts aboard the Warrior. I also remember how her ship's guns were all plastic replicas to keep the weight down.