PDA

View Full Version : Musket nipple wenches.

slimjim
12-23-2023, 04:30 PM
I'm having difficulty finding a nipple wench that will work on the sharps and springfield and others. Need the slot to go all the way through the top of rod small enough to fit in the nipple space. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.
Jim

Carolina Reb
12-23-2023, 11:46 PM
A quarter inch drive 8 point quarter inch socket will fit. Do not get the far more common six point socket. The three eights drive sockets usually are a little too big in outside diameter to fit a Sharps. If your local hardware does not have one, it can be ordered from McMaster-Carr or MSC Direct.

slimjim
12-24-2023, 08:12 AM
Thank you for information. I have a six point but the fit wasn't good, loose. I'll check the sight.
Thanks again.

mgmradio
12-24-2023, 10:54 AM
Use a 1/4? drive socket and an Allen wrench. Use the drive end on the nipple.

slimjim
12-24-2023, 11:21 AM
By Gosh that works! Went down to gun room took out a 1/4" drive 1/4" size socket and Allen wench to fit and took the 64 springfield out and tried it and it works like it was made for it.
Thanks to all for the info received.
Jim.

RangerFrog
12-25-2023, 10:30 PM
I was having a similar difficulty with the nipple on my Zouave but my team mate showed me that he could easily break it loose with a 1/4? eight point socket from Snap-On. It fit closely and had better engagement surfaces than anything else I?ve. Ever tried. he got one just like it from the Snap-On man for me the next time he came by, and it stays in my range box all the time.
Froggie

slimjim
12-26-2023, 04:05 PM
I did fine out that the socket works well on most but not all. The nipple area opening is to small for a socket on my sharps. The open slotted type tool will get them out but the socket hits the wall of the nipple area by the Lawrence primer feed.
Thanks all for responses. But still looking for a nipple wench that will work on a 1863 sharps.
Thanks jim

Joseph Plakis Jr, 00302V
12-26-2023, 05:30 PM
I use a 1/4" deep socket for a 1/4" ratchet wrench. I had to put it in my lathe and take a little off so I can get it to work.
If you know someone with a lathe you might ask them to trim a little off for you.

Joe Plakis Jr
Hampton Legion
00203V

Muley Gil
12-26-2023, 06:42 PM
I use a 1/4" deep socket for a 1/4" ratchet wrench. I had to put it in my lathe and take a little off so I can get it to work.
If you know someone with a lathe you might ask them to trim a little off for you.

Joe Plakis Jr
Hampton Legion
00203V

Or, you can use the "poor man's lathe", a 3/8" or 1/2" drill secured in a vise. Put the socket in the drill chuck and use a good file to reduce the outside diameter. Check often.