PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on this project? Frankenstein two band musket.

Harry Gaul
12-21-2023, 11:35 AM
Like many of us, we like projects to wile away the long, cold winter winter months until the weather breaks and we can hit the skirmish line or range to try out our new Frankenstein musket. I made one, and it is almost done. It has a Springfield stock, stretched, with a block front site and two different bans from an 1855 and 63 muskets. I did not take apart any respectable musket but put together this musket from parts here and there and gun shows and Ebay and the like. The barrel is almost bored out with minimal rifling. With that said, the barrel is cut down to 33 inches and based on the breech and rear site particulars, the barrel was probably an 1855 with a long range rear site. Now what? Question is there any approved two band, 33 inch musket with a long range rear site with an 1861 or 2 lock? Remember I said it was a Frankenstein musket. I want add a little thunder, lightning, crackle, crackle and shout, " It is ALIVE! It is ALIVE! It breathes fire and smoke and breaks targets!" On the other hand, it is nifty deer rifle. Your thoughts?

Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas/Happy New Year.

Harry in Pa.
Forney's
03626v

plymouthairrifle
12-22-2023, 01:00 PM
I love it! You brought parts back to life. I just posted some frankenguns on the American Vintage Airgun forum. One air pistol was converted to a flintlock. Another air pistol was converted to a .22 rimfire. Both pistols were from the 1870 to 1880s.

Muley Gil
12-22-2023, 03:32 PM
Check with John Holland. A few years back, I got a SAC card for a cutdown 1863 Springfield that was probably a Bannerman's military school/cadet drill rifle.