PDA

View Full Version : Mike Yeck Smith Carbine

threepdr
12-02-2023, 09:27 PM
I bought a repro Smith at the Franklin TN CW show today at a great price. It was only after I bought it that I realized that it was made by Yeck (bonus!). For the Yeck Smith shooters out there, to what size are you sizing your bullets? Any other peculiarities with the Yeck compared to the Pietta that I should know about? Thanks!

Keith Williams
12-03-2023, 07:05 PM
Hello Mark, first welcome back, the last video I seen...I thought you said you were a past N-SSA member. Second, nice purchase. Mike improved upon weapons that were currently sold during the day. Third, your question is best suitable for (1960's - 70's) skirmishers from the NWT and Midwest, because these individuals met, knew, bought, and visited his museum and shop in Michigan. Mike was a customize-improvement gunsmith, who added his personal touch onto weapons. I will gladly trade you my Pietta for his...or your carbine.

Mike made competition equipment, I would assume you bought it from a past member or their family member. Did the past owner give you any facts, dates, or intel when you bought it?

Moreover, any retired Michigan base skirmishers from the 60's and 70's should be able to answer your questions about Mike and his gunsmith nuances. Some individuals may have old files or records from his shop and museum. Mike had a lot of friends and made myriad acquaintances.

My father was a Mike Yeck era skirmisher, unfortunately, I missed that time-period as I was a kid...I met him once, so I did not know him personally.

Good luck, it will be very interesting and educational to hear responses about your thread.

Sincerely,

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

threepdr
12-03-2023, 08:54 PM
Thanks, Keith!

The dealer who I bought it from did not know its origin. He thought it was a Pietta, and I assumed so also until I looked it over more carefully. I got a great deal on it, no matter who the maker was! It has a high front sight on it, so I assume it was used in the past by a Skirmisher.

Mark

Keith Williams
12-03-2023, 09:51 PM
Since you are member Mark, get in touch with Dave Cole the National Deputy Commander...he can check the serial number and past ownership if it was used/inspected within the N-SSA...moreover, he can check if it was stolen. Larry Flees of 111th OVI might be able to help with additional questions.

Take care,

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie? - Josey Wales

John Holland
12-04-2023, 10:59 AM
Keith, most respectfully, the statement of "....he can check the serial number and past ownership if it was used/inspected within the N-SSA...moreover, he can check if it was stolen." is unfortunately absolutely untrue. The Yeck Smith Carbines were never individually inspected because they were given N-SSA "Production Approval". That means that it could be purchased and taken straight to the line. In addition, there is no database of "stolen arms".

Keith Williams
12-04-2023, 02:54 PM
Thanks John for the information, are weapon infractions kept on file as well the serial numbers? What I mean, when individuals are caught with 2lb. trigger pull, non-soldered sights, or no half-cock positions...is that weapon recorded, just the individual, or both?

Please let me know, thanks.

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

John Holland
12-05-2023, 03:06 PM
Keith, the questions you have asked are the domain of the National Inspector General. He would be the one to answer them for you.

Gary Vikar
12-18-2023, 06:13 PM
Mark, I have a few Yeck smith parts. All are new as I assembly some of Yeck smith for mike. I have a new old stock with a Butt plate attach. If interested I can send you a list of parts. I have and photos. As part as I know one makes replace butt stock. You will have to slug the bore. Some of Mike's barrel bore where small .511 to 513. I believe mine was .513. I use 28 grains of 3f. The only problem with 3f is the flash hole will erode quickly. 32 grains of 2f will work. IM I can tell you more.
Gary Vikar