PDA

View Full Version : Loading leverl latch lock on Shiloh Sharps 1863 carbine?

Maillemaker
11-27-2023, 06:04 PM
Today I received my Shiloh Sharps 1863 Carbine.

On my Pedersoli Sharps, the loading lever latch cannot be pushed forward to latch the loading lever unless you push the button to release the latch first. You can unlatch the lever just by pulling back on it. I think this is the way it is supposed to work.

On the Shiloh Sharps, the latch moves forwards even if you are not pushing to release button.

I think this is a manufacturing defect, but I want to make sure this was not a deliberate choice (like not including the pellet primer system).

I have emailed Shiloh and am awaiting a response.

Does anyone else have a Shiloh Sharps and can check the function of their loading lever latch?

Thanks,

hawkeye2
11-28-2023, 09:41 PM
The latch locks when I close the breech on mine. It's been several years since I fired mine but I was working out a drill where I pushed the latch back with the edge of my hand as I changed my grip to lower the lever.

Maillemaker
11-30-2023, 12:41 PM
The latch locks when I close the breech on mine. It's been several years since I fired mine but I was working out a drill where I pushed the latch back with the edge of my hand as I changed my grip to lower the lever.

I do not believe the latch is supposed to auto-engage.

It has a lock to prevent it from engaging without deliberately depressing the lock.

Steve

Jim_Burgess_2078V
11-30-2023, 01:28 PM
Steve is correct. On my Farmingdale Shiloh Sharps I only need to push the latch back to disengage with the lever. To reengage the lever, I must press the button to move the latch forward.

Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

Carolina Reb
11-30-2023, 07:03 PM
That's the way originals work too.

Maillemaker
12-01-2023, 05:10 PM
Not getting a response from Shiloh, after first practicing on my Pedersoli 1859, I took a deep breath and carefully removed the trigger plate from my Shiloh 1863 carbine.

The problem was that the live end of the leaf spring for the loading lever safety latch was not bearing against the bottom of the trigger plate. Thus the hook on the live end of the spring was not engaging the loading lever latch.

I removed the leaf spring, carefully heated it with a torch and bend it slightly, then re-quenched and tempered, and put it back together. Now the live end of the spring bears down on the trigger plate like it should, and the hook engages the latch like it should. Pushing the release button now frees the latch like it should.

Put it all back together and all is fine now.

Steve