PDA

View Full Version : Updating old 2013-15 thread for Rear Sight Rig to Drill Peep Sight

Keith Williams
11-05-2023, 01:30 PM
I came across old threads relating to a rear sight rig which is adjustable for sighting as it makes hole transferring easier upon the sight. Everyone suggested George Gompf at Tenn. Bullet Mold. I cannot find an active website or working phone number for him.

1) Does George or company still produce these?
2) Does anyone have updated phone number, web address?
3) Does anyone, know where to get musket peep sight placement and drilling tools like this...currently made and sold?
4) If any members have one, can you please upload a picture...I am curious to see what this device looks like.

10 years ago members were searching for a peep tool, nowadays...what is the alternative if George and Tenn. Bullet Mold are out of business...are we going back to the old school ways...of drilling-brazing-re drilling?

Thanks for the feed back!

Keith A. Williams
15th Reg VA Vol Cav

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate? Monty Python-Holy Grail

rflmskt
11-06-2023, 11:37 AM
This is the George Gompf tool:

Keith Williams
11-06-2023, 12:29 PM
Thanks rflmskt for the pictures, the device looks well made...did you buy it 10 years ago?

Take care,

Keith A. Williams
15th Reg VA Vol Cav

John Westenberger
11-06-2023, 02:04 PM
1) Does George or company still produce these?
No, I spoke with him via email about 6 months ago. He went out of business at the start of covid due to health and lack of sales

2) Does anyone have updated phone number, web address?
See above. I can provide his email via PM if you're interested in picking his brain about making them, or getting them made by someone else.

3) Does anyone, know where to get musket peep sight placement and drilling tools like this...currently made and sold?
I did a whole lot of research and talking to people at the start of the 2023 skirmishing season about drilling peep sights. There is really no other way to do it without this tool. Nobody makes anything remotely similar. What I was recommended to do was marking exact center on the blank, then using the old sight (if moving to peep sights), and taking a guess how far down you need to drill.

Unfortunately, yes. Unless somebody with the knowledge and tools starts making them, we are back to drilling and brazing as needed to adjust our sights.

Keith Williams
11-06-2023, 02:52 PM
Thanks John for the information. First, I did not know George is a member. Second, I did PM him through this website as well as, an email address I found in one of his 2012 threads.

Unfortunately, I do not have the space nor equipment to make this fine looking device. By the pictures donated from rflmskt, I can tell some serious thought and care went into this device. Maybe, in the future someone will buy his plans and reproduce them again.

As for going old-school, I have thought outside of the box which has worked at speeding up my time in determining the proper hole location on leaf.

You gotta do...what you gotta do!

Anyone have one for sale??

Again, thanks John.

Keith A. Williams
15th Reg VA Vol Cav

Kurt Lacko 7862
11-06-2023, 05:22 PM
rflmskt

Thanks for providing the photographs of the jig.

Can you provide 1 measurement for me? The two upright round rods, can you measure the diameter?

I think George made two types, steel and aluminum. Which is the one in the photograph?

Many thanks,
Kurt

Keith Williams
11-06-2023, 09:24 PM
Hey Kurt, you could PM George with the question...I emailed him a couple of times today.

Hope this helps.

Keith A. Williams
15th Reg VA Vol Cav

Kurt Lacko 7862
11-07-2023, 05:21 PM
Thanks Keith, I may just do that. I only need one or two measurements to figure out the rest. The two rods I was talking about are actually called shoulder screws. Knowing the diameter and length will give me an idea of the other dimensions. Also curious to the peep size he used.

Thanks again,
Kurt

Keith Williams
11-07-2023, 07:57 PM
Hey Kurt, just for your information. George is actively searching for a parts maker for the device, he plans on assembling a limited edition of new ones...so, I would think twice about asking him...

I figure a heads up is a good thing to know.

Take care,

Keith A. Williams
15th Reg VA Vol Cav

Kurt Lacko 7862
11-08-2023, 05:46 PM
Roger that.

efritz
11-09-2023, 12:56 PM
I have one for sale. Just like pictured. Essentially brand new. $100.00 plus shipping.

Robert Murphy
11-09-2023, 04:53 PM
I will take it.

efritz
11-09-2023, 06:46 PM
Pm me with address. I?ll get shipping cost tomorrow.

John Westenberger
11-11-2023, 12:04 AM
Hey Kurt, just for your information. George is actively searching for a parts maker for the device, he plans on assembling a limited edition of new ones...so, I would think twice about asking him...

I figure a heads up is a good thing to know.

Take care,

Keith A. Williams
15th Reg VA Vol Cav

That's good to hear. He was a nice guy to talk to, but seemed like he had 0 interest in manufacturing new ones. Hence why I relayed what I had heard from him at the end of May. Glad he's trying to get a run of them made. It's such a slick design that I'm amazed a current sutler hasn't picked up on it after he got out of the game.

Keith Williams
11-11-2023, 07:09 PM
Hey John, unfortunately George thinks the new batch may be double the price. He's thinking of outsourcing the parts to be made...then he can assemble them.

We should start placing orders with him, then he will definitely know how many units he will need to assimilate.

Take care,

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie? - Josey Wales

Keith Williams
11-12-2023, 11:04 PM
March 1973 Skirmish Line - Ed Occhi Peephole Locator. See attachment.

Options are good.

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

John Westenberger
11-13-2023, 10:58 AM
Hey John, unfortunately George thinks the new batch may be double the price. He's thinking of outsourcing the parts to be made...then he can assemble them.

We should start placing orders with him, then he will definitely know how many units he will need to assimilate.

Take care,

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie? - Josey Wales

One of those "buy once, cry once" situations. If you want to do it right, you may as well pay for the right tools for the job.

Tim Iannuzzi
12-18-2023, 10:20 AM
I have one for sale. Just like pictured. Essentially brand new. $100.00 plus shipping.

If anyone else has one of these they want to sell please let me know. Many thanks.

Keith Williams
02-28-2024, 10:07 PM
UPDATE: 2/28/24

Just got off the blower with Tom Crone, and yes he is making George Gompf rear sight alignment units (with permission). He is taking orders now, as well he expects to have more to sell at the Spring Nationals which eliminates the shipping cost. Tom believes his final cost will be between $125 - $150.

Good to know.

Tom Crone phone number 301-473-5699

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

"Lead the way Texas...succession is the righteous alternative." Me, Myself, and I!

Maillemaker
02-29-2024, 01:13 PM
Great info!