PDA

View Full Version : Yup Another Lube Question

Kurt Lacko 7862
10-26-2023, 05:28 PM
Not really, just one of the ingredients. For those using Tallow in their formula are you using Mutton Tallow or Beef Tallow? Is there really any difference besides price?

Thanks,
Kurt

PoorJack
10-26-2023, 06:12 PM
Not really, just one of the ingredients. For those using Tallow in their formula are you using Mutton Tallow or Beef Tallow? Is there really any difference besides price?

Thanks,
Kurt

Experiment. Try both. Change only the one item, observe results. There's the answer.

bobanderson
10-27-2023, 12:12 PM
Tried venison tallow once with good results.

Had to change cuz I wasn't shooting enough deer.

Rebel Dave
10-27-2023, 02:36 PM
Dixie Gun Works sells Deer, and Mutton tallow, at least they use to.

Dave

Kurt Lacko 7862
10-31-2023, 08:15 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll have to do some experimenting.

Kurt

RangerFrog
11-01-2023, 11:53 AM
I?m too #*@& lazy to go chasing Bambi for his fat, so I?ve settled on unsalted Crisco for the fat component of my BP lube, usually a variant of Emmert?s Lube.
Froggie

PoorJack
11-03-2023, 07:26 AM
I?m too #*@& lazy to go chasing Bambi for his fat, so I?ve settled on unsalted Crisco for the fat component of my BP lube, usually a variant of Emmert?s Lube.
Froggie

For an interesting experiment, make a small batch of each, one with crisco and one with lard/coconut oil and test. Change nothing else.

Keith Williams
11-05-2023, 01:42 PM
Damn Bob, its not Muzzle-loading season in Michigan yet...furthermore, don't give away our Michigan secrets! ;)

Take care.

Keith A. Williams
15th Reg VA Vol Cav

Tim Iannuzzi
11-06-2023, 05:43 PM
For an interesting experiment, make a small batch of each, one with crisco and one with lard/coconut oil and test. Change nothing else.

What's the general reason for mixing to coconut (or olive) oil with lard given the historic lube was just beeswax and tallow? Just curious.

....and, do you mix yours by weight or by volume?

Keith Williams
11-06-2023, 08:58 PM
Hey Tim, I mix by melted volume: 1 cup of beeswax to 3/4 cup Crisco and 1/4 cup vegetable oil. I have no complaints so far...normally dip a week before events.

Take care,

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

JW 5875V
11-06-2023, 09:12 PM
Many years ago, a member of either Knapps or 2nd Maryland
named "Lefty" had posted his lube recipes.
They were in category for musket, carbine, pistol,
smooth bore and even a secret for artillery!!

Last That I heard is he is relaxing on a beach somewhere,
don't if he reads the bulletin board much, sure miss
his knowledge as I didn't pay attention then.

Jim Whitehouse Sr. 5875V
Allegheny City Guards

Keith Williams
11-06-2023, 09:35 PM
Interesting JW, maybe his recipe is printed in an old Skirmish Line issue.

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

bobanderson
11-07-2023, 05:23 AM
I've used a lube based on Neutrogena soap for about 20 years. Here's a screen grab of a post from 3 years ago.

Recipe for N Lube, aka Bob-o-lene, copied from a post of mine from 4 years ago.

Mix 8 ounces each of pure Neatsfoot oil and and beeswax with one bar of Neutrogena soap in a melting pot. When combined, scrape some flakes from a bar of Ivory soap. (That last was given to me care of a chemist who said the soap makes the ingredients stay blended while cooling. Otherwise they will try to separate as they cool.)
Anyways, I made some stick moulds out of pvc pipe and arrow shafts for the core pins. This lets me make lube sticks for my Lubrisizer. I get about 12 sticks out of a double batch, plus I pour the leftover into baby food tubs to use as top cylinder lube for my revolver.

Making your own lube is not for everyone, but this recipe is superior to SPG and anything else I've seen.

Muley Gil
11-07-2023, 06:39 PM
Bob, is that 8 ounces by weight or volume?

bobanderson
11-08-2023, 12:06 PM
Bob, is that 8 ounces by weight or volume?

Great question. Bothered me, so I weighed 8 liquid ounces of melted beeswax to find out.
Turns out they're the same. Now I use a scale.

Keith Williams
11-10-2023, 09:30 PM
I made some Bob-o-lene, it smelled decent and was easy to produce. By volume, it filled 5/8 to 3/4 of a quart sauce pan. I dip then size, unfortunately...I will have to wait until I get my barrel back.

As I said before, options are always good.

Comparing both recipes will be fun.

Thanks Bob.

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
11-12-2023, 01:08 PM
I remember Lefty's great advice on BP lube. "If you can't smear it on a Triscuit and eat it it doesn't belong on your bullet."
That advice along with the beeswax, crisco and a touch of olive oil has worked for me on minnies and SB balls for many years. Vary the wax for seasonal temps. Never have a foul and it cleans with water base cleaners.

K.I.S.S!

Keith Williams
11-24-2023, 01:04 AM
Bullet lube by Bob Wright, N-SSA Small Arms Committee. 80% pure beeswax with 20% SAE-30 motor oil - highly recommended by Earl Naramore within his book on loading ammunition.

S.L. entry March-April 1978

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

The day of the cavalry has passed but the dedication, valor, cunning and spirit of that service will live forever. How the color yellow ever became associated with cowardice is vague; it certainly came not from the cavalry "Yellowlegs." - Richard Mann - The Cavalry - S.L. May-June 1976

Ron Showacre
11-24-2023, 05:39 AM
Bullet lube by Bob Wright, N-SSA Small Arms Committee. 80% pure beeswax with 20% SAE-30 motor oil - highly recommended by Earl Naramore within his book on loading ammunition.

S.L. entry March-April 1978

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

The day of the cavalry has passed but the dedication, valor, cunning and spirit of that service will live forever. How the color yellow ever became associated with cowardice is vague; it certainly came not from the cavalry "Yellowlegs." - Richard Mann - The Cavalry - S.L. May-June 1976

asked and answered earlier in thread, just missed it...

Scooby
11-26-2023, 06:50 PM
Interesting. I always thought petroleum based ingredients were bad for BP, something about a chemical reaction between the fouling and the petroleum causing a hard goo to form. Live and learn.

Keith Williams
11-26-2023, 07:21 PM
Hey Scooby, you may be right about the fouling issue with motor oil...one of the older threads (Another, lube question) to the bottom stats the same problem.

Take care,

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie? - Josey Wales