PDA

View Full Version : WTB LG and Y tumbler?

Harry Gaul
10-20-2023, 07:54 PM
First let me say that I keep saying Ly and G but the correct listing is LG and Y. With that being said, I tried the "new to me" LG & Y musket, and it has potential, but the trigger pull is heavier than what I like. Does anyone want to part with an LG & Y tumbler? This contract is built on the Enfield pattern of lock parts. If anyone has an LG & Y tumbler that they want to part with, I am listening. On the other hand, an original Enfield tumbler might work. I will try to modify the tumbler using the David Chance method from the Northwest Territory packet of instructions on "How to tune a musket lock". Thanks for reading.

Harry in Pa.
Forney's
03626v

Joe Plakis, 9575V
10-30-2023, 09:27 PM
I know it is probably more than what you need, but finding just a tumbler might be a daunting task. This lot is available for auction and in the end, you might end up paying well over $100 alone if you get lucky enough to find one.

Food for thought

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1010270869

Dheisey#7003
11-04-2023, 09:50 AM
S & S has Armisport repro enfield tumblers. I don't know if it will work or not.

Gary Vikar
11-06-2023, 11:16 AM
Try an original infield tumbler. That is how I fixed LG & Y lock back to 2000. You may have to do a little fix.
Some history.
The Colt Patent Firearms Company, Lamson, Goodnow & Yale and Amoskeag, is one of the more interesting stories in Civil War firearms manufacturing. The story starts nearly a decade before the American Civil War with the British involvement in the Crimean War, which started in 1854. With a huge and sudden demand for the newly adopted Pattern 1853 Enfield rifle musket, the British looked to makers outside of England to produce the additional guns that they needed. One of the companies they turned to was Robbins & Lawrence, a firm that had been mass producing firearms on the principle of interchangeable parts for some time. Robbins & Lawrence had also been involved with the manufacture and installation of the gun making equipment at the Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield Lock. These experiences made the firm particularly qualified to produce Enfield rifle muskets for the British, so Robbins & Lawrence was granted a contract to produce 25,000 Pattern 1853 Enfield rifle muskets. At the same time, the ever industrious Sam Colt was in the process of setting up his gun making facility in London and approached the British government with an offer to produce fully-interchangeable Enfield rifle muskets at a mere $7.50 each! That was less than half of what the Board of Ordnance was currently paying for contractor-produced muskets that were not made with interchangeable parts. The caveat to Colt?s offer was that the contract had to be for one million guns! The British Board of Ordnance rejected the offer, and it was a good thing for Colt. The war in the Crimea ended much sooner than expected, and the British cancelled all of their outstanding orders for Enfields that had been placed with non-English contractors. This resulted in Robbins & Lawrence, who had spent a significant amount of money on machinery and tooling to produce Enfields (and who had only delivered about half of the initial order of 25,000), filing for bankruptcy and having their assets sold at auction.

Carolina Reb
11-06-2023, 12:00 PM
An English made Parker Hale tumbler will most likely work as well, since they were made to the original Enfield gauges.

Fortitudine
11-08-2023, 01:04 PM
Try an original infield tumbler. That is how I fixed LG & Y lock back to 2000. You may have to do a little fix.
Some history.
The Colt Patent Firearms Company,Lamson, Goodnow & YaleandAmoskeag, is one of the more interesting stories in Civil War firearms manufacturing. The story starts nearly a decade before the American Civil War with the British involvement in the Crimean War, which started in 1854. With a huge and sudden demand for the newly adopted Pattern 1853 Enfield rifle musket, the British looked to makers outside of England to produce the additional guns that they needed. One of the companies they turned to was Robbins & Lawrence, a firm that had been mass producing firearms on the principle of interchangeable parts for some time. Robbins & Lawrence had also been involved with the manufacture and installation of the gun making equipment at the Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield Lock. These experiences made the firm particularly qualified to produce Enfield rifle muskets for the British, so Robbins & Lawrence was granted a contract to produce 25,000 Pattern 1853 Enfield rifle muskets. At the same time, the ever industrious Sam Colt was in the process of setting up his gun making facility in London and approached the British government with an offer to produce fully-interchangeable Enfield rifle muskets at a mere $7.50 each! That was less than half of what the Board of Ordnance was currently paying for contractor-produced muskets that were not made with interchangeable parts. The caveat to Colt?s offer was that the contract had to be for one million guns! The British Board of Ordnance rejected the offer, and it was a good thing for Colt. The war in the Crimea ended much sooner than expected, and the British cancelled all of their outstanding orders for Enfields that had been placed with non-English contractors. This resulted in Robbins & Lawrence, who had spent a significant amount of money on machinery and tooling to produce Enfields (and who had only delivered about half of the initial order of 25,000), filing for bankruptcy and having their assets sold at auction.

Hey.... Whitney had to get his parts from some where