PDA

View Full Version : New RWS caps.

ian45662
10-19-2023, 04:56 PM
Has anyone tried the new made RWS musket caps? Does it seem like they are weaker than the pre-Covid RWS Musket caps?

tucten
11-17-2023, 09:08 PM
They look less green, and more yellow. I had what looked like sulfur all over my lock.

Keith Williams
11-20-2023, 12:18 AM
Well, I cannot answer that question directly. As a new skirmisher with old ties...I have been using up my supplies from 2000. I have noticed my old RWS 1081 caps were weaker than my Navy's, and the new Schuetzen seem more powerful than both. That's my observation, I have not bought new RWS 1081 caps...just those Spanish steels.

Take care,

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie? - Josey Wales

bobanderson
11-20-2023, 03:26 PM
When the Schuetzen musket caps appeared, there was much discussion whether they were hotter than RWS caps. The prevailing theory was they were.

I have a Maynard first Model and decided to test the "brisance", a.k.a. explosive power of each by inserting cotton patches and then in another test, pieces of target paper,
to see how much damage they did.

In all tests, the RWS caps did much more damage, making them "hotter" in my mind. This was in spite of the fact that the Schuetzen caps were noticeably louder.

With that said, and with the scarcity of RWS caps, I eventually switched. After all the chin music, turns out each of my guns have distinct preferences for one or the other but not both.

Keith Williams
11-20-2023, 11:14 PM
Southron Sr. question with post and replies. 6/25/2019

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

Maillemaker
11-21-2023, 02:44 PM
When the Schuetzen musket caps appeared, there was much discussion whether they were hotter than RWS caps. The prevailing theory was they were.

I have a Maynard first Model and decided to test the "brisance", a.k.a. explosive power of each by inserting cotton patches and then in another test, pieces of target paper,
to see how much damage they did.

In all tests, the RWS caps did much more damage, making them "hotter" in my mind. This was in spite of the fact that the Schuetzen caps were noticeably louder.

With that said, and with the scarcity of RWS caps, I eventually switched. After all the chin music, turns out each of my guns have distinct preferences for one or the other but not both.

I did a test.

I made a 3D printed, plastic "cartridge" tube to go into my Sharps. I put more and more layers of tissue paper over the end, seeing which cap, RWS or Sheutzen, would blast through more layers of paper.

They were about the same, to my surprise.

I know when shooting the Sheutzen caps my fingers get peppered with the side-blast.

I believe the problem is the steel hulls of the Sheutzen caps. I think they don't deform onto the nipple as tightly, and so there is more "side blast" around the nipple. I think this makes them sound and feel stronger.

Keith Williams
11-21-2023, 06:59 PM
I noticed that too Steve, my fingers were also getting peppered. You, and Bobs' testing was cool from that old '19 thread. I am surprised no one has suggested popping caps at night while recording it...I will use my Pietta Smith opened for the test. The difference maybe noticeable - or not?

Take care,

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie? - Josey Wales

ADDITION: As of December 2023, Schuetzen caps produce a very large white flash explosions during night filming, thou...they were inconsistent in size which could be a concern. My 2000 RWS cap supply generated small orange flash explosion which seemed more consistent in size. I do not have new RWS caps to test, as I said...I will also test my old Navy's for comparison.

I need to find a way to clip the flash points when filming, so I can post individual pictures side by side on the different explosions...this should make viewing easier.