PDA

View Full Version : LY and G two band musket: does it need a SAC card?

Harry Gaul
10-15-2023, 10:45 PM
I picked up an LY and G two band musket that appears to be an musket previousily owned by a skirmisher. The musket has a front site painted a bright green and the rear site has two peep sites maybe 50 and 100 yards. Does it need a SAC card? Camp fire chatter suggests no SAC card needed because it is a special contract musket. SAC authority please comment. The LY and G specs closely match my other two band musket that passed inspection and have SAC cards.

Thanks in Advance,

Harry in Pa.
Forney's
03626v

Dave Cole
10-16-2023, 09:12 AM
Harry,

not speaking for the SAC or the IG, but if not in the approved arms list, discretion says get it inspected.

Dave Cole
National Deputy Commander

John Holland
10-16-2023, 10:45 AM
The two band LG&Y started life as a 3 band Rifle Musket. When it is altered from an as-issued Rifle Musket to a 2 band size it is required to have a Small Arms Individual Approval Card.

Harry Gaul
10-16-2023, 02:47 PM
SAC Chairman and/or other Regional Inspectors who has a spec sheet for the LG and Y, two band musket, please download and send a copy to

Har3rdus at gmail dot com at your earliest convenience.

Thanks in advance,

Harry in Pa.
Forney's
03626v

Jim_Burgess_2078V
11-01-2023, 01:03 PM
This is an interesting thread. I see quite a few "artillery model" or 2-band, cut down rifle-muskets on the line. Some are originals and some are repros. I was under the impression that 3-banders cut down to 2-banders were grandfathered but I could be wrong.

I have one of the Colt signature series (repro) 2-band rifles which replicates a cut down 3-band rifle-musket. It is a "back-up" gun I'm not currently skirmishing with. I believe these production guns were approved along with the Amoskeg marked variation. The LG&Ys are the same "Special Model" but I'm not sure locks with those markings have been reproduced.

I did not care for the Sam Colt signature on the trigger guard of my rifle (not authentic) so I replaced it with one of the Amoskeg unmarked trigger guards. Would that modification trigger the need for SAC inspection and card?

Jim Burgess
15th CVI

Harry Gaul
11-03-2023, 05:45 PM
As an side bar to my getting this musket a SAC card, the plot thickens. I bought this musket at auction. You can tell that it belonged to a NSSA skirmisher. The bright green paint on the front site and the peep site rear are "markers" for a skirmisher being the previous owner. No reenactor, dead or alive, would dare to carry this musket into an event with the bright green, pink or red modified front site. Since the skirmisher did not include the SAC card with the musket at auction, I am duty and rule bound to get the musket inspected again. It is a long shot, but if I can track down the previous owner and/or team, I may be able to find the previous owner, and hopefully, he/she has a SAC card for this musket. It is very possible that he/she did not take the time to get a SAC card and just skirmished with the musket regardless. Just my luck I will get checked, and no SAC card means team disqualification. To get a SAC card at Nationals means that I will not be able to shoot my regular number of Individual targets on Friday morning. All is not lost. I am member of a Region where the SAC people will inspect "run of the mill firearm" at Regional meetings. Here is hope. It is a hassle. It is like a lump in your oatmeal or gravy and not a lump in your breast.

Down with cancer,
Harry in Pa.
Forney's
03626v