PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what type of steel Zoli used for their barrels?

haddockkl
09-27-2023, 09:51 PM
Has anyone got any info on what composition of steel was used by Zoli on their forged bolster Mississippi and Zouave rifle barrels? I have a barrel that needs the bolster replaced and hope to find a safe way to do it.

John Holland
09-28-2023, 09:35 AM
There is no way to replace the bolster on a barrel that is acceptable by the N-SSA.

haddockkl
09-28-2023, 01:08 PM
There is no way to replace the bolster on a barrel that is acceptable by the N-SSA.

I don't intend to replace a bolster, just repair the nipple seat and threads, they were damaged by an over zealous shade tree gunsmith, and short of engineering a nipple with 3/8in threads, an otherwise servicable barrel is a tomatoe stake.

John Bly
09-28-2023, 09:20 PM
Actually Dan Whitacre sells 3/8" threaded nipples. The nipple threads can be repaired with a thread insert. The Zouave/Mississippi bolster has room for this. Some use Heli-coils but in my opinion they are for permanent assembly applications. Nipples need to be removed occasionally for a thorough cleaning.

haddockkl
09-29-2023, 07:42 AM
Actually Dan Whitacre sells 3/8" threaded nipples. The nipple threads can be repaired with a thread insert. The Zouave/Mississippi bolster has room for this. Some use Heli-coils but in my opinion they are for permanent assembly applications. Nipples need to be removed occasionally for a thorough cleaning.

That is good to know, Mr. Whittacre needs some of my money anyway, thanks for the heads up!