PDA

View Full Version : Front Sight Protectors

Keith Williams
09-18-2023, 10:38 PM
I reviewed the forum threads back to 2021 within the Shooting Techs, Tips, and Tricks section. My question is, has anyone been making the brass front sight protector covers? The Nationals are coming up...do they sell them there? Does anyone know where to get them from? Are we down too using the PROTOPRYNT models sold on Ebay these days. Are these reliable and worth it...or are they crap which will brake and strip? S&S is out (brass) and C&C does not have them. Did I overlooked a place to buy the brass covers from, or is it up to me to build my own covers...which I have some good ideas on.

Let me know, and thank you Ladies and Gentlemen.

Keith A. Williams

george7542
09-19-2023, 09:40 PM
John at northeast trade company usually has them at nationals

Keith Williams
09-19-2023, 10:28 PM
Thanks George, I will call them and ask.

Take care,

Keith A. Williams

Keith Williams
09-20-2023, 12:43 PM
John was very helpful, all you need is to mic the barrel around the sight and send him an email with the measurement. He said usually under $20 for the component to be made.

North East Trade Co. (570) 546-2061

Keith A. Williams

Why do you smoke this s^!t? So as to escape from reality? Me, I don't need this s^!t. I am reality.
Sgt. Barnes, Platoon.

Keith Williams
01-31-2024, 07:07 PM
Update, brass sight protectors $20 a piece...$10 dollar shipping for three.

**I forgot to mention from Northeast Traders** 2/6/24

Call for order.

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

The day of the cavalry has passed but the dedication, valor, cunning and spirit of that service will live forever. How the color yellow ever became associated with cowardice is vague; it certainly came not from the cavalry "Yellowlegs." - Richard Mann - The Cavalry - S.L. May-June 1976

John Westenberger
02-03-2024, 09:36 AM
After getting told by S&S their supplier wouldn't make them anymore, I ended up making my own. The sheet brass was 33$ on amazon, and the hardware I had laying around. You could probably make 4-5 sight protectors with the size of stock that I got. Wasn't too bad, took less than an hour using just a piece of old pipe and a vise, could probably do it faster now that I have it figured out. It holds tighter than any other sight protector I've bought from S&S. The last one I bought from John had holes drilled into it crooked, so it wouldn't tighten. Just an option for anyone looking to try it that had a similar experience to me with NE Trade's supplier.

Muley Gil
02-03-2024, 03:09 PM
Very nice John.

If someone were to use a thumbscrew and a wing nut, it would be easier to tighten.

John Westenberger
02-04-2024, 07:42 PM
Very nice John.

If someone were to use a thumbscrew and a wing nut, it would be easier to tighten.

A little solder assures the flathead can't move. I had thought about using a pair of wingnuts and allthread cut to length. But solder does the trick. That's what both S&S and NE trade's suppliers both use.

CAGerringer
02-05-2024, 10:31 AM
Are we down too using the PROTOPRYNT models sold on Ebay these days. Are these reliable and worth it...or are they crap which will brake and strip?

Keith A. Williams

Keath,
I went with the Protoprint models over a year ago and couldn't be happier. Tough and made in bright colors, they should last and are easily found when set aside somewhere.
Respectfully,
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

Keith Williams
02-06-2024, 08:11 PM
Nice pictures John and a great job. I was tinkering with a cone style slip on - or a latch-able idea made from a PVC tube with interior foam padding.

Now you know...you are going to get request for these units now. LOL!

Charlie, I found those 3D prints online also, good price...however, I was unsure of the durability...I believe you are the first person to say you bought those...Good to know...any complaints on them?

I figured I would update the thread since I called John several times and got different prices.

Take care gentlemen, and thanks.

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

John Westenberger
02-10-2024, 09:58 PM
Nice pictures John and a great job. I was tinkering with a cone style slip on - or a latch-able idea made from a PVC tube with interior foam padding.

Now you know...you are going to get request for these units now. LOL!

Charlie, I found those 3D prints online also, good price...however, I was unsure of the durability...I believe you are the first person to say you bought those...Good to know...any complaints on them?

I figured I would update the thread since I called John several times and got different prices.

Take care gentlemen, and thanks.

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

So far no messages... Yet!

I've also tinkered with 3d printed sight protectors. I was selling a few different 3d printed items on here the last few years. I never could get sight protectors to work quite right. You make them thin enough to flex, then they get weak. The big problem was heat. In a hot car on a hot weekend, the sight protectors get kind of soft, since every plastic you can use in a printer (easily) has a very low melting temp. If you use ABS, I suppose they could work okay, since it's one of the stronger types of plastic you can print with.

Keith Williams
02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Roger that John, thanks for the reply. That's one reason why I was hesitant on purchasing them from Amazon...for $3.00 per unit more John did find the protectors out in his barn/shop.

Take care,

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav