PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer a 1st or 2nd model Maynard?

Dessert_Eagle
09-17-2023, 09:57 PM
Curious to hear folks opinions. The first model will have a longer sight radius. I haven?t shot either but after handling a 2nd model they seem quite neat!

RaiderANV
09-18-2023, 11:55 AM
You would have to shoulder and fire both to see which fits you like any other gun. Then it comes down to what your wallet can spare with First models being more than double the cost of a Second. The rear peep sight on a First gives many folks trouble being so close to your eye. It's mounted on the rear tang. Find someone shooting a First during individuals and ask the shoulder it.

bobanderson
09-18-2023, 02:53 PM
I have 2 first models, a 50 and a 36. The 50 is an excellent skirmisher because of the
adjustable sights.

The 36 is ballistically identical to a 38-55, making it a bona fide 200 yard target rifle.
There is no other skirmish firearm capable of that kind of accuracy in my opinion.

That said, in a CW firefight the second model wins, hands down.

John Bly
09-18-2023, 08:46 PM
At 76 yrs old I shoot a 1st Model because the tang sight with a small peep hole lets me see the front sight. I can't see the sights on a 2nd model well enough to hit a truck at 100 yards. I like the 26" barrel better than the 20" on the 2nd model. If you have good eyes and are a good shooter ans 2nd mod may be OK for you. Some like them because they consider them faster to load and get back on target. I'm waaay past fast shooting. I'll take 5 hits over 8 misses anytime.

Dessert_Eagle
09-18-2023, 09:59 PM
I have 2 first models, a 50 and a 36. The 50 is an excellent skirmisher because of the
adjustable sights.

The 36 is ballistically identical to a 38-55, making it a bona fide 200 yard target rifle.
There is no other skirmish firearm capable of that kind of accuracy in my opinion.

That said, in a CW firefight the second model wins, hands down.

so you?d say the 50 is more accurate? Or 36 is more accurate but offset by better sights on the 50?

great information from everyone. I haven?t shouldered a 1st model, but the 2nd fit me so well (5ft 8in and a shorter than that windspan) I?m eager to see what a 1st model is like. Separate, if anyone has a nice Maynard they are considering parting with, albeit undecided on which I?m very likely to be in the market this nationals.

Robt. Propst
09-19-2023, 10:58 AM
I have both, the Model 2 for 20 some years, the Number 1 for 8. Unless I missed someone saying it, the easily adjustable rear sight on the tang sight, both for windage and for elevation, recommend the 1st Model Maynard. The sights for the 2nd Model are not adjustable. That said, shoulder both, test fire both, and that will make your decision. Your checkbook can catch up later.

jswift
09-19-2023, 10:53 PM
Dessert Eagle PM sent, thanks, Jim