PDA

View Full Version : Maynard expander plugs

threepdr
08-21-2023, 10:38 PM
I'm in need of a .517 or .518 expander plug for use on Maynard cases. I have RCBS Spencer dies and Lyman 50-70 dies and both have expanders that are much too small (.511 and .509). Does anyone know a source for these? I can't seem to find that size on line anywhere. I'll be shooting a .518 bullet.

Thanks!

Kevin Tinny
08-22-2023, 08:08 AM
Hello, Mark:

Since you are using a commercial die set, try Dave Gullo at Buffalo Arms in Idaho, 208-263-6953. He is a very capable and experienced black powder cartridge shooter.

There are some issues with expander plugs. The temper of the brass case mouth will create spring-back after the plug is withdrawn, so the plug OD will rarely produce the same mouth ID. Discuss this and the need for a custom shell holder for the Maynard rims. I would send Dave your die set along with two unfired and two fired cases plus five sized bullets. Maynard bullets usually do not need to be more than a finger push fit if the bullet is pushed rearward maybe 1/32" by the rifling. Lube "stiction" has been enough for me.
All the best,
Kevin Tinny

RangerFrog
08-22-2023, 11:39 AM
Tom Crone, a regular on Sutlers? Row, is an accomplished machinist. I would try asking him about your needed expander plug. I haven?t asked him for anything yet that he couldn?t make.

froggie

ChrisWBR
08-25-2023, 06:32 PM
I use an expander from CH-4D. Works perfectly. https://www.chtoolanddie.com/